Music in the Classroom

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by missk83, Jul 27, 2008.

1. missk83

missk83 Companion

Jul 27, 2008

I am going to be starting my 1st year of teaching this September. I will be teaching 3rd grade. I have hundreds of questions going through my mind, but one I wanted to ask was this:

-Do you play music in your classroom? I want too, but I am not sure what is appropriate for 3rd grade. Are the kiddie cd's with songs like "I've been working on the railraod" too young for them, or will they enjoy it?

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks!

3. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Jul 27, 2008

I play a lot of new age music (Yanni, Enya, etc.) while they are writing in class. I also have several curricular CDs with songs related to content (life cycles, etc.) Some are a little cheesy, but I point this out to the students (OK, OK, this is a little babyish, but I promise it will help you with...). They kind of roll their eyes at me, but when it comes to the test, I can hear them humming it to themselves!
    There's also a lot of rock/rap CDs that have curriculum in them too, especially math facts.

4. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Jul 27, 2008

I taught 5th last year, and my students LOVED having the music on while they were working. I play a lot of classical music, but I also have a CD of the Ohio State Marching Band, which they love, and also a CD of ocean sounds/white noise music. It is amazing how quiet they are when I put that CD on, it's very calming. On Friday's I will sometimes put on Hannah Montana, Cheetah Girls, or High School Musical as a reward. The students really enjoy this (even the boys!)

5. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2008

I play music all the time too. I play a lot of classical music especially when they come in in the morning and during work times. We sing songs etc. during morning meeting and throughout the day as well.

6. missk83

missk83 Companion

Jul 27, 2008

Thanks for all the suggestions!

7. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Jul 27, 2008

I often have classical music on while my kids are working. I recently found some cd's called Songs in the Key of Art which are really fun. (you can hear them on itunes).

8. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Jul 27, 2008

I have used music in my LTS jobs. When I did 3rd grade I would play music while they were practicing cursive (and only if they stayed quiet). At one school I did classical or ocean sounds, at the other school I had Disney CDs. The kids loved both.

9. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 27, 2008

I'm a big Jim Brickman fan. I love his music. I have some classical favs, too. I've got a lot of relaxation CD's from when my husband did massage therapy. He bought them for his work. We found several a while back at Dollar Tree.

10. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Jul 27, 2008

I just attended a writing conference where music was played. The presenter played piano music when she wanted us to write, no talking, and then she switched to 60's tunes (with lyrics) when we could work and talk. She said she used this with her class....when the song has no words, they can't talk. If they hear singing, they can talk quietly to someone next to them if they need to share ideas.

11. missk83

missk83 Companion

Jul 27, 2008

What a great idea! Thanks!:)

12. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 27, 2008

I usually play instrumental soundtracks from various movies. My favorites are Braveheart, Lord of the Rings, The Patriot, and Pearl Harbor. I find that when you play songs with lyrics, they tend to distract the kids more.

13. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Jul 27, 2008

I have a CD I found that is children's music but in French (Barnes and Noble.) Almost all of my kids were bilingual in Spanish so they were super interested in another language. I translated the songs on big poster paper so they knew what the lyrics meant and they would sing as they worked. SO CUTE hearing 32 little voices "whisper" singing in French!!

14. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Jul 27, 2008

Excellent idea. Great cues for the students.