Music in the Classroom

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by newteachfl, Apr 23, 2008.

1. newteachfl

newteachfl Companion

Apr 23, 2008

I teach third grade and am looking for a suggestion of a music cd for my class. Something fun they could listen to during snack or indoor recess. Does anyone have a suggestion. Obviously I'd like one that is educational but also maybe one that they can be silly with and dance to. Thanks

3. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Apr 24, 2008

Not so educational, but my class loves Hannah Montana & High School Musical soundtrack!

4. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Apr 24, 2008

I downloaded music off iTunes and made my own CD for the kids. I used songs we sing at school assemblies, and songs I thought would be fun for them.

5. thenrobbiesaid

thenrobbiesaid Rookie

Apr 24, 2008

To hear someone bring this up is so refreshing...my classroom is (and will be, as I'm finishing up student teaching now) completely dominated by music. How we learn, while we work, during transitions...you name it, I try it.

Anyhow, one great CD I've used while working is the soundtrack from the Curious George movie. Check it out:

*I can't post links yet, so I'm told* Head over to Amazon and search Curious George Jack Johnson

The kids love it, and the whole CD is really mellow. I've had some music that has caused too much excitement, but if there's a perfect when it comes to music in the classroom, this has to be close.

Good luck!

Robert

6. Yen

Yen Rookie

Apr 24, 2008

There are some fabulous Lullaby collections called "Rockabye Baby" by Michael Armstrong. They are lullabies from The Beatles, The Eagles, Metallica etc. They are soothing and relaxing to work to and I know the words in my head. :)
    Also Laurie Berkner is fabulous (we are a super music oriented classroom). And then I have some mixes with Raffi and such. I made my own cds from itunes.

7. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Apr 24, 2008

I play a song every morning as they come in. I put together a CD of various rock and roll, alternative, and country songs.
    Some artists on this CD include John Mellencamp, Foo Fighters, AC/DC, Dave Matthews Band, Rascal Flatts, Fleetwood Mac, Stevie Wonder

I'll sometimes put this music on while they're working.

8. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Apr 25, 2008

Einstein listened to and earnestly played Mozart. My kids love to listen to it while they do their math. It's a genre' that most of them have never been exposed to and surprisingly they beg to hear it.

There's a ton of positive research out there on learning and music.

It also depends on what my Read Aloud is for the day. I do two weeks of bio's, and to compliment the lesson we listen to Chopin, Beethoven, of course Mozart on the day I read about them.

We read The Nutcracker in December and we listen to that ballet. We also go as a group to watch it. I keep long scarves and the girls do a creative dance to several of the ballets and the boys march around.

There's also a lot of ballads that are really old, some I'd forgotten about until I Googled 'em. John Henry being one.

Right now we're reading Charlotte's Web, I found the music and words that go w/the movie. We sing it twice before we ever start reading. I'll catch the kid humming it during the day, it's sweet.

We also listen to some classical music when we water paint. It's just almost magical watching the kids.

9. teacheratheart

teacheratheart Companion

Apr 25, 2008

Last year I put together a cd of all different disney songs for my kids. I also saw Lion King on Broadway so I bought that soundtrack to play in my class. The kids loved both cd's.

10. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Apr 25, 2008

I play a variety of classical music, old folk songs and even some opera. My students complained about it at the beginning of the year but now request it and even debate about who they like better (i.e. Mozart vs. Beethoven)! I love it. Their current favorite is an Italian song, "Fuggi, Fuggi,...."

:)

11. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Apr 25, 2008

I play a variety. I use classical music, nature sounds, Disney sounds (however, only the older soundtracks...I just love them so much), and I also love the Curious George soundtrack too!

12. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Apr 25, 2008

I find music is great for volume control, because I have to be able to hear the music while they are working. My principal mentioned how much he liked it when he observed me.

I love using music in the classroom. I do a lot of songs to remember things, like the rock cycle, parts of a letter, and skip counting chants. I had a teacher that played music and I just loved it when I was a kid!

13. missidy

missidy Rookie

Apr 25, 2008

I use transition music (jeopardy, who wants to be a millionaire, match game etc to get ready) and instrumental pieces (legend of zelda) as well. I thought my kids wouldn't recognize the music but soon they were asking "can we listen to the nintendo song?" lol.
    Thanks so much for the music suggestions. Instead of going to bed, I buying the Rockabye Baby set and Curious George....they are great!