Music in the Classroom

Discussion in 'General Education' started by scmom, Oct 8, 2011.

1. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Oct 8, 2011

I have an assignment for a class I am taking I need your help with. I need to find 10 songs (not kids' musicians) you would use in the classroom. I am the type who never buys music or knows the names or artists of songs I listen to on the radio, so I need direction. The songs have to be from different artists and from various genres.

Any ideas? I would be grateful for your inspiration.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 8, 2011

Use...just for any purpose?

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 8, 2011

I don't play music in my classroom.

But I would love to play Vivaldi's The Four Seasons. It's beautiful and calming.

Oh, and Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 8, 2011

I play instrumental music during many independent writing activities. I found a Tranquil Moments CD at Walmart which I particularly love for this purpose.

For Kagan activities I'll play more popular music. Justin Beiber, Michael Jackson...they love it. :)

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Oct 8, 2011

My kids love old school Motown. You just can't help but smile and dance a little when you hear it. :)

Favorites of the kids:
    I Heard it Through the Grapevine
    Ain't no Mountain High Enough
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered (and anything by Stevie Wonder)
    This Old Heart of Mine
    ABC (and anything by Jackson 5)

7. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Oct 8, 2011

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Oct 8, 2011

I play classical music at nap time. . .I like Schroeder's classical music. Only the 1st song is on Schroeder's piano.

Beyond that it depends on what you are looking for. I have a couple of Dr. Jean CD's that I use or Greg & Steve. Just depends on the purpose.

9. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Oct 8, 2011

Thanks for the great suggestions and keep them coming. At least I'm getting to listen to some wonderful music tonight.

10. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Oct 9, 2011

Gary Jess, George Winston, Missa Johnouchi are three of my staples. Vivaldi isn't as soothing as you'd think, there are parts that are intense.

I have a morning routine play list. It has "don't worry, be happy", and "good morning" (from singing in the rain), "It's a sunshine day" from Brady bunch and another good morning song. By the time those songs are over, it's time to start work.

Our state university rivalry game is coming up and most of my team mates went to my rival school. I added my university's fight song to my morning list. I hope that by game time, my students will know the words!!:D:D:lol:

11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 9, 2011

12. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Oct 9, 2011

I teach science.

When covering Space I use

Life on Mars-David Bowie
    Starman-David Bowie
    Into the Void-Black Sabbath
    Martian Boogie-Brownsville Station
    I lost my heart to a starship trooper-Sarah Brightman
    Walking on the Moon-The Police
    Star Trekkin'-The Firm

When doing geology I always start the lesson with some 'Rock' music!

Doing a lesson recently on exercise and heart rate I got the kids to take their pulse before and after exercise. The exercise consisted of them dancing to Great Balls of Fire by Jerry Lee Lewis as the track only lasts 2 mins 15 seconds.

I also use videos of 'Pollution'- Tom Lehrer and of course the Elements by the same artist. youtube 'The Periodic Table of Rock'

Lessons on electricity are opened with some ACDC

Limelight-Rush starts my lesson on limestone

'Chemistry-Semisonic gets played a lot.

When the kids are doing practical ('lab' to you) I will have music playing in the background. Recently I was covering hazard labels with my yr 7s (6th Grade) and as they were categorising all the chemicals I had Poison-Alice Cooper, Fire-Crazy world of Arhur Brown.

The list is pretty well endless.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 9, 2011

You're right, of course. But I could listen to The Four Seasons (Actually, either Vivaldi's or the ones with Frankie Valle :) ) all day long.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 9, 2011

I play a lot of classical music during reading and writing workshops. I have a cd called 'Mental Mozart'.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 9, 2011

Both of the Fantasia CDs (original and Fantasia 2000) are wonderful as well.

16. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 9, 2011

Jim Brickman's instrumental piano music is wonderful. I also love soundtracks--my kids' current favorite is one of the Narnia ones.

17. charterteach

charterteach New Member

Oct 9, 2011

Music Video's

The possibilities are endless with music. Check out this music video we made for integer's in math last week!

goto youtube and search "Mr. Alfano Integer Party"

18. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 9, 2011

For quiet times, I play those quiet instrumental CDs that they cell from a kiosk in Target or Walmart. I have acoustic guitar, quiet meditation, mexican rhythms, etc. I also have a lot of those Rockabye albums mentioned above. I have Nine Inch Nails and Nirvana and Bjork. (It makes me happy! The kids don't know what they are listening to :))

I like goofy rock songs for when we do louder activities, like cleaning the classroom.

I just bought the "Green Album" which is all remakes of muppets songs

Some fun rock/pop songs:

Dune Buggy by The Presidents of the United States of America
    Walk Like an Egyptian by The Bangles
    Yellow Submarine, The Beatles (in fact, lots of Beatles songs)

I have a Michael Jackson album, and all the School House Rock

Last year, when I had 4th graders in my class, I let everyone pick a song and I made a mix CD. I played a song each day during the clean up, the goal being, they finish cleaning before the song. Everyone loved it and it was indeed the oddest mix ever. One child who doesn't listen to pop picked classical, we had hard rock LINKN Park, classic rock like the Beatles and Rolling Stones, pop like Justin Beiber, hip hop, TV theme songs (Phineas and Ferb) and all kinds of things. That was REALLY fun to have in the room!

19. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Oct 9, 2011

Enya music... any of hers.

20. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Oct 10, 2011

We listen to a lot of quiet music in the classroom. I have compilation cd's that I use, but my absolute favorite is the cd's that are made for babies. I have a Chopin, a Brahms, and a Mozart baby cd. Our kids LOVE them.

21. engineerkyle

engineerkyle Companion

Oct 10, 2011

Hi There...

New here. I love forums and hope I can contribute to this one. Soft music on when kids enter can have a calming effect, too.

Not used enough....

Kyle

22. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

23. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Oct 10, 2011

Thank you everyone. I have been listening to some good music this weekend, thanks to you.

24. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 10, 2011

I love Dave Cleavland Guitars in Worship. It is instrumental so no lyrics to cause an issue, but it is super soothing to me and the kids love it.

I also love to play classical and my goal is for the students to begin to recognize the musical styles of Vivaldi, Beethoven, and Mozart. I also play silly rock songs for fun movement when we need to get the blood flowing! Great fun to see young kids jumping and dancing to the Beach Boys, Chubby Checker, U2, the Beatles, etc.

25. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 10, 2011

Play Eye of the Tiger right before a test. It gets kids all pumped up and they seem to perform a little better.

26. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Oct 10, 2011

And then 'Always look on the bright side of life' when you give them their scores!

27. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Oct 10, 2011

I love music in my room, but many of my children are so "tuned in" to music they can't focus with it on. Literally, they are dancing or drawing big swirls in the air or just swaying and knocking over their own blocks. We use plenty of music mind you, just not during free time. My own son, who is a competitive dancer (now) could NOT behave in a room if music was on and dancing was not the order of the day (directing from symphony seats and so on during family time). The two years that the young teachers tried to use music in the room, were the years of his life with the most detentions.

Just for perspective.

We do use music at nap, I love Mozart (long before the whole Mozart effect!) and Brahms.

We use "We all live in a Yellow Submarine" when we are thinking fighting would be the best way to behave as a class.

I love the "Don't Worry Be Happy" Song and he does a wonderful one man rendition of the Wizard of Oz in it's entirety.

We use "Peter and the Wolf" for literacy and sorting activities and right before I am planning on reading chapter books to 3 and 4 yr olds to help them understand how to create pictures in their heads.

"Postcards at an Exhibition" or a title close to that.....has a wonderful "Babba Yagga" movement that we use during the Winter/Jan Brett/ Russia session we always end up doing during the snow. Then we use their lovely Decorated Eggs to move out of winter and into spring.

We love the Carnival of Animals to learn how to move to different types of music and as different types of animals.

We ADORE Fantasia and the "Magician's Apprentice" movement! Then we play the video after a long time of playing with the music.

Gershwin have lovely music for playing "I Spy" verbally. You know how to read the books...."I spy a boat and goat living in a moat" or what ever and you are looking at the book? It is played just the same, I started playing it with my own children when they were tiny.....daddy plays in the symphony!

Very music involved family!

28. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Oct 10, 2011

I don't have any music to suggest, but I remember last year I'd be having a session with students and the teacher next door seemed to always be blaring Kidz Bop, haha. Heavy on the bass too, we could hear it through the walls and feel the vibrations.

It was awful. Luckily I was moved this year.

29. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Oct 10, 2011

Not a fan of Kidz Bop!

30. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Oct 10, 2011

I play various yoga music all day long. I couldn't tell you the name of the artists..lol

31. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 10, 2011

I have a ton of music at work. My husband does a radio program so he gets all these free CD's from various artists. Many of my favorites are from other countries. Japanese music is usually very soothing and calms the kids. I have the Beatles, Moody Blues, Steve Miller Band, and lots of James Taylor. In fact, James Taylor does lots of kids songs, "Getting To Know You" is a favorite.

32. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 15, 2011

I am in favor of using classical music for silent reading or writing. I especially like those with lost of violin -> I find it soothing. I have Brahms, not sure which cd, but on Amazon i listened to samples and choze the one with a lot of violin. I also have Vivaldi.

I've seen a teacher using soothing nature sounds, but I was wondering if that would make them sleepy or wanting to use the restroom? (waterfalls, etc). lol.

A lot of high school students say their teacher lets them listen to pop / rap music, through approved radio stations, but I'm always wondering how they can concentrate while listening to this kind of music. Apparantly they can :)

33. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 15, 2011

I skimmed the posts, so if I'm double posting, excuse me! :) I use a lot of the Kagan cds. I love the music on them. I also use some jazz and one of my favorites is Carlos Nakai. (Native American flute music.

34. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Oct 16, 2011

I have a 4Gb memery stick full of music permanently plugged into the PC in my room. When the kids are working independently or on practical work I open it up and they can use it as a juke box with the kids taking it in turn to select a song.