Music in the Classroom?

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by OneBerry, Jun 9, 2011.

1. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Jun 9, 2011

Hello all. In my math class we frequently have times when students are to be working independently, with a partner, or with a small group to complete some sort of practice problems or practice work. During these times students are allowed to talk, but I don't want the noise level too high - both so that students can focus and because we share a wall with the school library. I was wondering if any of you play music during students' work time, and if so does it make much of a difference in the noise level? (I would LOVE if the music helped students feel peaceful and cut down on unnecessary chatter, but I would NOT love if the students began talking louder to hear better over the music.)

Just wondering what your thoughts are, or what type of music you play! :whistle:

3. carlea

carlea Comrade

Jun 9, 2011

I don't know about math, but my students want it quiet when they read. They are allowed to talk quietly during writing, but if I have music on, the noise level just increases. I've also tried having music on when they're working on projects, but very few actually listen to it - they'd rather talk.

4. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 9, 2011

Whenever my students are working independently and not being tested (in the strictest sense of the word), I have music playing. I have my iPod full of a very eclectic mix from songs the kids know (radio edited) to classical. I keep it at a low enough volume that I can hear them ask me a question and I can answer it without raising my voice. It's just a nice hum. Sometimes, if it's a song I really love, I do crank it up and dance a bit. :)

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2011

I don't.

But in the early years of my school, we softly played classical music in the hallways every single morning before school started. Things were kind of wild back then, and it was hoped tha the music would be soothing. I think it helped a lot.

You could always start with the two Fantasia soundtracks-- that music might be vaguely familar.

Oh, and Rhapsody in Blue-- parts of that will probably ring a bell, as will the Four Seasons.

6. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jun 10, 2011

During independent work kids can listen to their ipods. We don't encourage kids to bring ipods, but most of them have them so all teacher's have been instructed by the P to let them listen to Ipods during testing or independent work. I often have music playing softly in the background. During study skills class the kids doing independent homework like me to dim the lights and play nature sounds. It does seem to help them concentrate.

7. TheBagLady

TheBagLady Rookie

Jun 10, 2011

I've used some instrumental (can you call it that?) electronica music, and seen hip-hop instrumentals used. The kids really seemed to like the hip hop enough to be quiet. I tried letting the kids listen to iPods while they worked on writing assignments, but I found they would blast it too loud so I could hear, spend all their time cycling through songs, or be jamming out to it and get very little done. =/ (Or, worse, they might start singing outloud to inappropriate lyrics!!) So I would rather stick to my own choice of instrumental music.

8. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jun 10, 2011

It depends on the overall mood of the class. We do play music quiet often. We listen to some classical, but mostly its edited songs that I know are appropriate. They enjoy it and it helps some work better.

9. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jun 13, 2011

I use music all the time: during bellwork, during group work so the groups can't hear each other, during transitions and sometimes for the heck of it. The collection includes country, oldies, hard rock, classical, pop - you name it. Some classes do better with music than others so I don't play it in all classes.

10. anthrogirl

anthrogirl Rookie

Jun 25, 2011

I use music sometimes and I joke that if we can't decide on what to listen to, then they have to listen to MY music. That usually gets a good laugh.

However, we don't listen often, especially with high focus work since many of my students needed to have quiet to concentrate.

11. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 25, 2011

I use music constantly in my classroom. The general rule is: If oldies are playing, students are talking about whatever I asked them to talk about. If a soundtrack is playing (They *love* E.T., Indiana Jones, etc), they are reading silently. If there's no music, Ms. Chebrutta gets to talk. Works like a charm (most times. One class last year just never got the hang of "there are times when students don't talk").

My oldies are upbeat to keep their energy high. Sometimes they get off topic during their discussion time, but mostly they follow the directions.

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2011

My math professor in colleg played music during our test...I HATED IT!!! It wasn't just music it was like music from musicals... The one that was the worst was Phantom of the Opera... Do you know how hard it is to concentrate (math is not my strongest subject) on the test and try to sing "Phantom of the Opera"? So if you play something play something that doesnt' have words that go along with it.

13. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jun 25, 2011

I play a variety of music during independent and group work. I do not play music during quizzes. I have classical and modern songs. When the activity involves them moving around the room or it is Friday I tend to play the more modern songs. :D

14. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jun 25, 2011

My middle son's math teacher told me he plays Journey from his IPod during class. He's done this for several years and the kids constantly ask for it. He uses it during classwork time and also as classroom management, because he sets the volume fairly low. When kids ask "Can you turn that up?", he says "Nope. It's loud enough already. If you want to hear it, you need to stop talking so much."

In my own classroom, I used Pandora. I created a classical and classic jazz station. I would play these mainly during quiz or test times because it was SO silent in the room you could "hear yourself swallow". So it helped provide background noise. I also used it occasionally during independent/group work time, but the kids were usually talking too much to hear it.

Most kids agreed, though, that they liked having the music on during tests.

15. NUMB3RSFAN

NUMB3RSFAN Rookie

Jun 25, 2011

I mix it up during independent work times. Sometimes I put my Ipod on in the background with a mix of oldies, 80's and country. I keep it low enough that if they are working quietly they should have no problem hearing it. If they get too loud, it gets shut off. Other times, I allow them to listen to their own Ipods via headphones. They have to keep the volume down low enough that I can't hear their music and they are not allowed to "share" headphones with a partner.