Music for K-3??

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by JDcompy, Aug 8, 2013.

1. JDcompy

JDcompy Rookie

Aug 8, 2013

Hello, I am looking to make a CD of music for younger students: Something that would be K-3 specific (no justin bieber / one direction) that I can play while students are quietly working on their homework. I have no idea what would be good! I feel like classical music like motzart/beethoven is just so cliche. Maybe someone else has some ideas for specific songs? :]

THANK YOU !!!!!!

3. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 8, 2013

It may be cliche, but studies have proven that listening to Mozart actually grows brain cells. Beethoven may be a little too energetic for learning activities. In addition to Mozart and Bach, I play Chuck Mangione (smooth instrumental jazz), among others.

4. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Aug 8, 2013

Even if that's true the kids won't know that ;)

5. JDcompy

JDcompy Rookie

Aug 8, 2013

Thank you for the feedback- I agree with both above posts. I know about the studies.. and I know the kids won't know the cliche, and honestly may have never even heard Motzart ( I work in a very under privileged area) but I'm just not sold on the idea. I'll check out the Jazz guy right away. Any other ideas/names/songs? :]

Thank you!!!!!!

6. JDcompy

JDcompy Rookie

Aug 8, 2013

And, happy Bday to PW!

7. live

live Companion

Aug 9, 2013

I knew a 2nd grade teacher that used KidzBop. It seemed silly, but one day I walked in and every single child was working diligently, singing very very very quietly along with the song. They were so into it, and didn't even realize how productive they were being!

If you can hook your computer up to speakers, Pandora also has kid's radio stations so you don't even need to worry about the CD.

8. JDcompy

JDcompy Rookie

Aug 9, 2013

I'll check out KidzBop - I've never heard of it. Sadly, no computer in the room.