Music Demo Lesson-Please Help

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by thebull, Aug 10, 2007.

1. thebull

thebull New Member

Aug 10, 2007

I have an interview for a high school chorus position and I'm required to do a 15 minute demo lesson. There will be a student or two and an accompanist. What do you think would be the best use of such a short amount of time? I have a rough plan but would love some input. What do you think the interviewing panel is looking for most?

Thank you!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2007

Ouch. I'm about as tone deaf a teacher as you can find.

Hang in there... the calvary should be here within the next few hours.

4. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2007

I have certifications in Elementary Education and Vocal Music Education. If you only have 15 minutes it would be kind of hard to go into a song, especially with 1 or 2 students. I would probably do some warm ups. Think of the most creative and fun warmups you can. Then if you have more time I would do some sightreading and maybe a mini music theory lesson related to the rhythm in the sightreading. At the high school where I student taught, they didn't know any music theory at all!

I would try to think of some more ideas, but I have to leave to go get my wisdom teeth out now! Good luck!

5. Music Doc

Music Doc Habitué

Aug 12, 2007

Only a student or two for a demo lesson as a choral conductor? They should be giving you some time with a full ensemble. Let me know some more details?

6. cmw

cmw Groupie

Aug 12, 2007

That sounds tough! :woot: One of the things they are probably looking for is how you talk to and relate to the students.