Music and movement

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by MissPapa, Jul 18, 2014.

1. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jul 18, 2014

Hello!

So starting September I will be teaching Kindergarten! I will be a first year full-time teacher.

My question is, what would you do in terms of music and movement? Being that it is hard these days due to how rigorous curriculum is these days, I was thinking of having music and movement for 15 minutes sometime before lunch (depending on the schedule I get). I was also thinking if a morning sing-along would be appropriate, or is that more for Pre-K?

Advice is appreciated, especially any NYC public school teachers! But all are welcomed to chime in. Thank you!!! :)

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2014

It is really easy to incorporate songs in kindergarten. I used sight word songs all the time.

I also used Cosmic Kids yoga for some movement/brain breaks. Go Noodle is great for movement and brain breaks, too. We would practice counting songs with that pretty often. I could also use it to bribe them- they have sing alongs for Happy (Despicable Me 2) and Let It Go (Frozen). Of course, every day was 'Frozen" day in my room :tired:

4. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jul 18, 2014

Oh my god, Frozen was a hit in my third grade class. Every day, someone is singing "Let It Go!" I'll do more research on this. Singing I'll probably change it up a bit instead of having a typical "good morning" song (or maybe I will, who knows…), and have a 15-minute music and movement bracket…because kids need to move. Or they'll be moving all over the place during my lessons and wreak havoc!

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2014

I took over a terribly behaved class mid-year. They were used to being able to do whatever, whenever. I'm not exaggerating- under the tables, coloring at desk, crawling around during lessons. I observed before taking over. It was terrifying. My first week or so was all about my expectations. I found that they sat much, much better if we have brain breaks. In the beginning, we had 2 per day. By the end of the year, we went a whole week without them at times. Basically, I don't think you will have a problem with them carrying songs/movement into other parts of your day as long as you have clear expectations.

And Frozen. *shudders* One reason I hadn't thought of that makes me happier to be moving to 6th!! Every day. All day. One of my subs even brought in a CD of all the songs and let them sing along all day. So the few that didn't know the songs did after that. :eek: :tired: :dizzy: We went on a field trip during the last week of school. I was ready to bang my head against a window by the end of the day.

6. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jul 18, 2014

Thankfully I love Frozen! A 6th grade class will make me bang my head against a window. I can't do middle school *shudders*. But best of luck with that if that's what you feel is your calling! Some can handle it, some can't. I can't wait to teach my little ones <3

And I had to sub one of those classes…I had to constantly put on movement music…I hope I don't get one of those. But then again, I'm not going to be all passive like that teacher. I'm strict when it comes to rules.

But yea. Music and movement. A must-need for early education.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2014

6th grade is far from my dream position. I've been pretty down about it, so no Frozen can go in the pro list. Luckily I am going to be in a K-6 school. The only grade levels I'd chose 6th over are 7, 8, and K! I'm a 2nd grade kind of girl :)

And I am fine with the movie Frozen. But the nonstop singing is too much for me!!!