Music and Books

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by brejohnson88, Jul 17, 2010.

1. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Jul 17, 2010

I wanted to get a headstart on buying things for my classroom. Does anyone have suggestions on their favorite cds/books to buy for pre-k. Also, where can I find good deals? I was thinking amazon. anyone have suggestions? Thanks :)

3. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Jul 17, 2010

Any of Dr. Jean music is great. I am not sure where to find the good deals

4. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Jul 17, 2010

Yes, I love Dr. Jean! I am going to buy some of her things for sure!!!

5. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2010

You can buy her CDs directly from her website. I find many artists have their own sites and sell their CDs cheaper than Amazon. I was looking at Carole Peterson's the other day and I think I will buy one but I can't decide which one.

6. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Jul 17, 2010

I looked and her cds run from 30-15 dollars. I found many on amazon for under 10 dollars. They are used but they are gaurenteed to work or you get your money back.

7. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jul 17, 2010

Here are some of my favorites. Ebay and amazon are probably your best bets.

8. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 19, 2010

Music-

Greg and Steve
    Dr. Jean
    Jim Gill
    Hap Palmer
    Carole Peterson (my kids LOVE Sticky Bubble Gum. I have that one and Stinky Cake)
    Old town School of FOlk Music also has a really good one with "classic" songs called Songs for Wiggleworms. My kids love that one.

I recommend going to the library, and checking out CDs from them... lets you try out the songs to see if you like them before buying :) Also, see if you have used book stores around you... mine also has music and movies, and it's a great way to stock up for way less money. (Books, too!)

I have made myself compilation CDs of the somes I like the best from a variety of different artists... that's WAY easier than trying to swap CDs around with impatient kids staring at you :)

9. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 20, 2010

I love New Bridge for Learning's CDs. They have all kinds of songs and they are divided into catergories like gross motor,small motor, community, safety, numbers, alphabet, silly songs etc. As far as books go, my favorite is I love You Stinky Face. I recommend yardsales for books that you are going to leave available for the children to have free access to

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

11. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Jul 24, 2010

I've collected mostly Dr. Jean and Greg and Steve CDs. I like the Learning Station (Tony Chestnut) too. I "ripped" my favorites and made a "playlist" to use in the classroom.

Also, try to place a Scholastic book order every month or so. Use the points to get free books. For several years, I used my points to get the monthly "books & CD" deal... I think 4 each month. Sometimes I got one of the books free for ordering and so I had doubles for listening center. I had to slow down when my 2drawer filing cabinet wouldn't shut anymore... they add up fast...

I've also checked books and CDs out from the public library for listening centers... just remember to put them on hold a week or so before you need them... I'm still too cheap to buy the ones that aren't Scholastic...

12. Kati Bee

Kati Bee New Member

Jul 30, 2010

Great Music

I’m a mom and an educator. My 5 year-old son loves Greg and Steve, Charlotte Diamond and Mrs. Flutterbee Music. Hope this helps. :thumb:

13. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jul 30, 2010

14. langspeech

langspeech Rookie

Aug 5, 2010

Why BUY???

Two words: public library
    I too was ready to buy online music CDs that was until I found 4 of Dr. Jeans CDs at my local library. I ripped the CD into my media player library and my class ROCKS and ROLLS to the free music!!