Muscle cramps

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Jem, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 20, 2008

I'm getting terrible muscle cramps in my toes. It's like my muscles are seizing, and then it feels as if my toes have wrapped around each other. Even when I try to massage them, the muscles will not relax, and my brain can't even distinguish which toe or toes are cramping-it's just PAIN.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm eating bananas, and I don't wear heels. I'm suddenly have concerns about degenerative muscle diseases that start in your toes, and pretty soon your whole body is one giant frozen muscle.

You guys had good advice for Peachy's headaches-any experiences with this?

3. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Oct 20, 2008

Do you wear supportive shoes? Are they big enough? I was wearing shoes 1/2 size too small for years and didn't realize it. Also, custom orthotics could help correct whatever is causing the pain. I got some at ourfootdoctor.com and love them.

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 20, 2008

I agree with amanda about the shoes.

Also, the other half of the Ca-K pump that controls the muscle twitch is the, well, Calcium. You're getting the K from the bannanas, but make sure you're getting enough calcuim as well.

5. MrsWbee

MrsWbee Companion

Oct 21, 2008

I get these fairly frequently. I have NO idea what brings them on (though I tend to get them more often if I'm swimming... weird) and the only thing I can do to make them go away is to fold my toes back up the way they belong and squeeze really hard. If I curl my toes anytime within the 10-15 mins following an "attack" it is sure to bring it right back, so I am careful to put my feet flat on the floor once the cramp is gone.

On a side note... one of these times, you should watch your foot as it does it. As much as it hurts, it IS kind of amusing to watch :p

6. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Oct 21, 2008

If I wear certain shoes I will get them, usually heels.

7. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Oct 21, 2008

I get these cramps as well as cramps in my calf muscles. The big joy is that the calf cramps almost always come when I'm sleeping. It's such a joy to wake up in the middle of the night in massive pain!!

My doctor suggested adding a magnesium supplement to my diet, so now I take a multivitamin each day plus a magnesium tablet. It has helped reduce the number of times I get the cramps. I still get them, but instead of it being a regular thing now it's maybe 2-3 times per month.

You can give the magnesium a try, it certainly shouldn't hurt and it just might help.

8. Writer's Block

Writer's Block Companion

Oct 21, 2008

Eat bananas!!!! Muscle cramps are a sign of low potassium. Bananas help take care of that!

I know how painful they can be. Ouch.

9. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Oct 21, 2008

I get leg cramps too.

Especially when I bike 30 miles back and forth to work and then go to the pool where the coach makes us kick with fins for 800 yards. Eventially, my legs sieze up when I push off from the wall.

10. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Oct 21, 2008

When I change heel heights from one day to the next, I can guarantee cramps in my toes in the evenings. I bend my toes in opposition to the cramp and bounce around and yell. Within 10 minutes or so, it subsides.

My husband gets thigh cramps (his seem to be diet related OR after walking a long ways on an incline) in the middle of the night and shoots out of bed, hopping through the dark. It makes the dogs insane (they are fast asleep on the bed) and they go into "intruder" mode in the pitch dark. Even though I know my husband is in severe pain, it makes me laugh every time listening to him try to hop out the door while the dogs are having a melt down. Oh, the perks of marriage.

11. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 21, 2008

I would try some leg and foot stretching too. Put the front half of your feet on a ledge or step and let your heels drop down to feel the stretch. Most any yoga pose stretches you calves too and many will stretch your feet & toes too ;)

12. Miss_K

Miss_K Rookie

Oct 21, 2008

I get excruciating calf cramps at night sometimes! It hurts so much I can't stand it. Now don't laugh, but I've started using mustard, yes mustard, when I get them! There is supposed to be something in it to ease the cramp and it seems to work. (Maybe it's all in my head.) So now I keep packets of mustard in my nightstand drawer. The packets are a lot easier (and safer) than when my husband just came in with a bottle of mustard to squirt in my mouth! gross! :lol:

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 21, 2008

I get this too- my foot will 'freeze' into a weird contorted position that hurts like hell...

From online:
    Foot cramps have many causes. Some of the most common causes for foot cramps are:

Stress or fatigue in the foot – An overworked foot is often susceptible to foot cramps.
    Poor circulation – Foot cramp is caused by lack of oxygen being carried to the foot.
    Lack of potassium – This important mineral, found in salt, helps regulate body chemistry and keep you foot cramp free.
    Dehydration – Lack of water in the muscles contribute to foot cramps.
    Changing hormone levels – Foot cramps may occur while muscle tissue adjusts to these changes.
    Pinched nerves – Caused when the electrical impulse from the brain cannot reach the muscle, this can cause foot cramps, numbness and other symptoms.
    Alcohol or tobacco use – Since both lend to dehydration, poor circulation and toxicity, these are a triple threat for foot cramps.
    Nutritional deficiency – A healthy diet, complete with all essential nutrients can keep muscles and nerves functioning normally.
    Environmental toxicity – Certain “poisons” we encounter (via factories, contaminated water, etc.) may play a role in increased foot cramps.
    Chemical sensitivity – Some prescriptions may change the conditions in the body and make foot cramps more likely.

14. jenngugs

jenngugs Companion

Oct 21, 2008

Ugh this JUST happened to me like an hour ago. I did wear high heels today, but nothing too out of the ordinary. I just hold my toes and yell, and they usually go away just as quickly as they appeared.

15. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Oct 22, 2008

i get them when i don't drink enough water

16. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 22, 2008

I also get them, so does my brother. I have NO clue why I get them. I sometimes also get them when I swim.

What works great is when I get the cramps, I just fold my toes back on that foot as far back as I can and just hold it. Someone suggested that to me and it works! As soon as I fold my toes, the pain subsides and the cramping slowly goes away. I think they come on more when I when I where high heeled boots or shoes (although, I don't think my brother gets them when he wears high heels :D).

17. earthdragon72

earthdragon72 Rookie

Oct 23, 2008

I get them on a regular bases since I had two car accidents but if you can find anything with tonic water with Quinine I usually get them from the store and I drink it all day and have a banana with it. I have times when I am at work or even at home and I can turn a certain way. Also its mental I learn not to get uptight when it happens and put your feet up when you come home. Try and put your legs on a ball or lots of pillows the elevation will help out alot.

18. xmasqueen

xmasqueen Rookie

Oct 23, 2008

I used to get them quite frequently when I was younger. I've always loved bananas but that didn't seem to help me. Don't really know why I had them when I was younger but I found if I flexed my toes and kept them flexed it lessened the cramp until it finally went away. Now that I'm older I get another type of the same kind but it's may be caused by a vein that has begun to split in the back of my knee. I do worry about PCOS I think it's called but my Dr. says he doesn't think that's it and I've had tests that say my heart is ok, so not sure what it is. I'm on my feel almost the entire day at school so I would think that has something to do with it but I do know I can feel your pain and how uncomfortable it is.