munchkin's cover letter #1 please review.

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by munchkin, Mar 19, 2007.

1. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Mar 19, 2007

So. Here it is and I am back to knocking on doors again . (if my knees don't quit the knocking for me, I just may be able to get this job serach off the ground successfully!:eek: Of course I would insert a school name instead of the company in the sample.
    Please review. I will post other parts on separate threads as to not confuse the daylights out of me.
    Thanks ahead of time for your imput.
    Munchkin
    Mrs. D. Munchkin
    123 this is my Street
    Hometown , XX \12345

Dr. Harry R. Twiddledee
    Director of Development
    Any town County Disabilities
    Any town, XX 12345

Dear Dr. Twiddledee

I would like to apply for the Volunteer Coordinator position at the Anytown Disabilities. My husband told me about the positions that you are trying to fill. I have heard a lot of good reviews of the work Anytown Disabilities have done through out the area and it peaks my interest. I know I can make valuable contributions as a member of y our team with the skills that I gained as an educator and volunteer coordinator for the past ten plus years.

Since 1987, I have worked in various volunteer capacities such as: the public educational field, Boy Scouts of America, the Central XYZ State Disabilities Advocacy organizations. As a volunteer in Whodunit County and Whyruaskin Counties, I participated in and taught numerous classes for volunteers who in turned worked throughout the two counties schools as volunteers. Two of the programs that we spearheaded in my particular school district were: 1] Teacher Recognition Week: which we solicited well over $3,000 of donations that was raffled off daily to an entire school’s staff! 2] Another successful program was the Writing and Literacy workshop that was co-sponsored by the US Postal Service and Children’s World in which each child in the school would write, illustrate and have their own book published that their school would then place in the school’s l library as a permanent record of each child’s unique talents.
    I served on Central XYZ’s ACLD as the Public Relations officer in charge of coordinating and maintaining a current list of cooperating physicians and psychological services that would work with the parents and schools and educating the families about their rights and responsibilities through Parent Training Seminars for Families that had children with disabilities.
    I served as a leader and trainer of Adult Leaders in Central XYZ Boy Scout Council and PDQ Council, my State. During my twelve years of scouting service, I served in numerous positions through out my districts and two councils. One of my proudest moments was chairing the 2001 Spectacular District Volunteer Banquet for 150 plus adults and Eagle Scouts in attendance. By collaborating with the professional Council staff, several volunteers, and coordinating the outpouring of gracious businesses donations, we were able to have the largest attended and most “profitable” recognition dinner in the past ten years!

I understand that Anytown County Disabilities is looking for “just the right candidate” to fill this position at this fine organization. I will call you this week to set up a time to sit down and discuss joining your exceptional team. Please consider me for this position as well as any other position that becomes available.

Thank you for your consideration,

Sincerely,

Mrs. D. Munchkin

3. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Mar 19, 2007

I would try compacting the information in the second paragraph. What are the essential ideas you want to get across in your letter? Much of what is in that paragraph could likely be found on your resume.

Also, did you get "just the right candidate" from their vacancy posting? If not, perhaps you could say something (minus the quotes) like "a flexible, goal-oriented individual" or something to that effect.

4. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Mar 20, 2007

Thanks snickydog. Paragraph #2 is actually 2 !/2 paragraphs. I accomplished 2 things in the education/school world: 1] I was trained and helped train other parent volunteers in writing and literacy competency program that was coordinated through Disney and the US post office for a two county districts. I also coordinated Family education classes and professional referrals for parents that had children with disabilities. There was sooo much that we did there, that trying to condense into 2 sentences is like trying to kill your pet's fleas with a squirt gun of water.