Multipurpose corner _ reading, sensory etc

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by jstarnes, Jul 13, 2012.

1. jstarnes

jstarnes Rookie

Jul 13, 2012

I have a small classroom with limited wall space and I am trying to incorporate a multi-use corner that can be used for reading, sensory, listening or just chillin out. I have grades 3-6 so I don't want it to look too babyish and some are big kids. I am planning on having tubs or something that the students can take to their desk if needed or sit in this area. My question is do the gen ed upper grade classes have a reading/ leisure corner? At my school it is mostly lower grades that have these areas. I am just trying to get some ideas. I got rid of my teacher desk, got rid of stuff and will move more furniture out in Aug. to make room.

3. e6789

e6789 Rookie

Jul 15, 2012

I think the reason many upper grades don't have a corner is because they often have a switching schedule. I think it is a great idea, especially since your students may be coming to your room as their "safe place," where you can help them calm down, focus, meet whatever needs, etc.

I think if you add bean bags and other fun stuff, it'll be a hit.

4. jstarnes

jstarnes Rookie

Jul 15, 2012

That is what I was thinking too. I haven't had one with this group since my room is small. I was debating on weather or not they could handle it very well. In the past when I had younger kids I made sure each area was separate, but these kids are higher functioning and older. I just wanted to add a little excitement.