Multiplication

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Bored of Ed, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Mar 9, 2008

HOW?!?!

Most of my kids are getting it so far, but one just seems slow. I don't know what to do. Should I move on and let him fall behind?

Also, I want to do fun review games, but I don't want this kid to feel embarrassed or lose every game. Any suggestions?

So far I've taught them the "trick" for multiplying by one, ten, and zero, and we're working on memorizing the 2x table. One kid really has it, two are doing OK but need more practice, and one is... slow. Sometimes it seems like he gets it, sometimes not, but in any case he sure doesn't know anything by heart.

Meanwhile, my fast kid is getting bored...

HELP!

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 10, 2008

In 5th grade?

All but one of my 3rd graders have memorized up to the 12 times facts.

4. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Mar 10, 2008

Make flashcards for the struggler learner to take home. Make him practice them for 15 minutes every night.

Sometimes it is a lost cause though. I hate to say it. I feel like you really have to try before giving up. Some of my special education kids that are very low are allowed to use calculators because they can't catch on. I would suggest the calculator if everything else has failed. He can still play the games but he can use the calculator. You'll probably have to explain it to the other kids, because they will probably make comments.

5. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Mar 10, 2008

It is SpEd. I'm not sure exactly who that means his students are, but there are populations that will be doing quite well if they learn to count to 100, much less memorize the times tables.

6. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Mar 10, 2008

I would also teach them how to use a multiplication table. It will be much slower though. I would focus on the 2's, 5's and 10's and beyond that give them hints with the table.

Have them work in threes with flash cards. One holds the card up and the others say the answer. The person who is first, gets the card. The person with the most cards is the next caller. Since you only have 5 students, put your fast kid with one other kid who is as close as possible to him.

If you buy some wooden cubes you can make your own dice. I would label it 0, 1, 2, 5, 10, 2. Then give the kids a 10 or 12 sided dice. They roll the dice and solve the problem. I also taught my kids a game with graph paper where they roll two six-sided dice and then make arrays on the graph paper. They have to fill in the whole graph paper to finish. (I copied the graph onto 11 x 17 sized paper with two pieces of centimeter paper side by side to form one big piece.)

I have a fourth grader who has been doing Kumon for YEARS and still does not know his facts... I am worried at this point that he will never know them. For two years his parents say he knows them but has never demonstrated to me that he does.

7. Eddie

Eddie Companion

Mar 10, 2008

Another tool to consider... If he/she has access to a computer I recommend TimezAttack http://www.bigbrainz.com/index.php They have a basic version that is free. It is visually more appealing than flash card websites. My son is in first grade and becoming successful at his basic mult. facts using this game.
    You could possibly get each kid on a computer using this game and they could work at their own level??

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 10, 2008

I always reminded kids that I worked with that the 2 are like doubling in addition. Once they thought of it that way it "clicked" for some!!! I learned in one of my classes to teach 5's with a clock. Ie... 5x1=5 (5 minutes after) and so on...

9. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

Mar 10, 2008

On our state test, students are allowed to write out a multiplication chart on their scratch paper, so the math teachers are having the kids do it every day with their bellwork. It will help those who cannot seem to memorize the x facts.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 11, 2008

HAve them make arrays with square tiles or graph paper.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 11, 2008

This is a great idea about the 5s! I never would have thought of that. :2up:

12. kburen

kburen Cohort

Mar 11, 2008

Did you teach the 9 trick? Where if you are multiplying 9 X 4 you hold your hands up and put down the 4th finger and the fingers to the left is the tens place number and to the right are the ones place number.

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 11, 2008

Never knew that trick until I was subbibg & a student was trying to teach me (they weren't doing it correctly, thus the confusion) & I asked another teacher to explain it to me!!! Very cool!!

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 11, 2008

Use the finger method for 9s. Teach all the facts as repeated addition so they can figure them out when they forget.

15. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Mar 11, 2008

Thanks for the ideas.

(BTW, the slowest kid is actually the only one who consistently reviews at home. He also has the best attitude, he's the one who's eager to learn and willing to work for it. He's just not good at math at all :( )

16. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 11, 2008

Never heard of that. I just told my son and he is telling his teacher tomorrow...how cute!

17. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 11, 2008

The answers for multiples of 9 always add up to 9 or 18 until you get to real large numbers.

For example:
    9x5=45 and 4+5 =9
    9x9=81 and 8+1= 9

9x57= 513 and 5+1+3=9

This is a good way for them to check their work and you can teach it in conjuction with th 9 finger thing. If they think 9x5=43 you can ask them if 4+3 is 9 and since it isn't they know they are wrong.

This probably makes no sense. I'm tired and I think this time change has really messed with me.

18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 11, 2008

If you can multiply by 2, you can multiply by 4 - double the product. Same for 4 and 8.

19. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 12, 2008

Lemonhead...I've heard of that way as well!!!

I also told my cousins I tutored & my own students that math is all about finding the "trick" that works for you!!! They may solve the problem one way and you another. That's why it's so important to show as many ways as you possibly can.

20. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Mar 12, 2008

I've seen a multiplication song cassete before (when cassets were the thing to have) I sure wish I could find it again.

21. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 12, 2008

I remeber a 4th grade teacher had those when I subbed all the kids sang along with them!!!

22. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

Mar 12, 2008

23. i am mr. b

i am mr. b Rookie

Mar 16, 2008

For a lot of my kiddos we had to use lots of different ways before it "clicked".

Have him draw a picture, make arrays, and use other combinations he knows to find the answer to other problems.

I.E. "8 x 7 might be really hard, but 5 x 7 is easy, because we're really good at counting by 5s. Then we just need to add three more 7s"

Also, for a lot of my kids it was very powerful when I put a blank times table on the overhead and then we filled in what we already knew...for instance we know our 0s, those are easy. Then we talked about how anything times 1 is itself. Fill in that column...we know how to double, we've been doing that for years...that takes care of 2s. Fives are easy, we can skip count by those...tens the same thing.

After that, I filled in one of each pair that are "sneaky twins" (7x8 = 8x7). By the time we were done we only had a handful of facts that we really needed to work on.

Made them feel much better about multiplication.

Good luck!

24. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 16, 2008

So what did his teacher think?