Multiplication table

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by layan, Mar 21, 2012.

1. layan

layan New Member

Mar 21, 2012

I have a girl in the third year of primary
    How can I help me daughter to learn the Multiplication table
    What is the best way to teach
    I hope to hear your experiences in this
    Thank you

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 21, 2012

Welcome to my world ! I told my 9 year old that we'll spend the upcoming Easter vacation with flashcards, until she knows them cold.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 21, 2012

Flashcards, websites, songs, drawing pictures, etc. Find something that your daughter enjoys and drill these facts over and over again.

5. layan

layan New Member

Mar 21, 2012

Thank you Alicaecc for your response. also, the good website you are sent to me

Thankyou Mopar to the best way to help my daughter to keep multiplication table.

6. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Mar 21, 2012

Not sure if this will work for you but I bought a poster with the times table on and stuck it in the toilet. Every time my daughter sat on the toilet she had something to read!! One day she said to me, 'Mum, take the timestable down'. I asked her why and she replied 'because I keep reading it'!!! I was like, 'Yes, it's worked'.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 21, 2012

I teach my class in a multi sensory way: math games, songs, drawing arrays, math 'tricks' (like the 9 x finger trick)...and then we make our own flash cards to drill with (and use in math games) until they know them inside outside upside down.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 21, 2012

I had an interesting chat with my 15 year old sophomores today about their times tables.

I told them that, at some point down the road, they would be out to dinner at a nice restaurant with someone they really wanted to date. And they would reach for the check, and have to take out the calculator on their phone to figure out the tip.

And they would get dumped, because no one wants to date someone who isn't smart enough to know their times tables.

We all got a real kick out of it, particularly Sean and Kayla, who are a couple.

9. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Mar 21, 2012

My only hesitation about flashcards is that it creates guessing for some children. This guessing creates faulty links. Depending on your child's memory and recall ability and ease of learning material like this, it may not be an issue. For some kids, it makes things worse.

If your child struggles to remember things, sometimes it is better to supply her with a multiplication chart and have her do lots of simple problems using the chart to find the answer. This way she never guesses and cements the correct answer in her head.

Skip counting or chanting is good. Sometimes using fingers to indicate how many times she said a multiple of 2. For example, if she was skip counting and said 6, three fingers would be held up.

Love the idea of bathroom reading!