multiplication songs/ 3rd grade teachers

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by uclalum, Dec 20, 2005.

1. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Dec 20, 2005

I was at the teacher store yesterday and there were 4 different cd's that claimed to teach multiplication. One was multiplication rap, another claimed to work by incorporating movement, and there were 2 others.
    I was wondering if anyone has had success with any particular cd. It would be great if any of you have experienced/purchased more than 1 type of mult. cd and could compare the 2 for me.
    I do own intellitunes which has a few songs that teach skip counting by 2's, 5's, and 10's. This brings me to another question...would it be better to buy a mult. cd that teaches mult. by skip counting or a cd that teaches the facts themselves?
    The kids I will be teaching include both children that can skip count but don't apply the skip counting method to mult. and children that have not mastered skip counting. Does that make sense?:confused:
    I really appreciate the help!!!
    P.S. This will be for a 3rd/4th combo class that I will be teaching for 1 month. The kids are below grade level in math/reading.

3. lazydazy

lazydazy Rookie

Dec 20, 2005

I had the same thinking as you. I don't think a certain one is better than the other. The scholastic one had a book to make copies of the lyrics, and I love the 4 one on it!

Another good thing is the School House Rock Multiplication Video....my kids were entranced! 3rd grade, Title 1 school.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 21, 2005

Choose whatever you can stand to listen to again and again and again and again and again and ... One of the reasons I like Schoolhouse Rock is that the music is really good jazz that bears repeating.

5. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Dec 21, 2005

In my math methods class we had to watch School House Rock, my prof said we should use it in a classroom- but preview it first. There are a few that certain groups of parents may be offended by (one shows Noah's Ark, another shows gambling, etc.)

6. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Dec 21, 2005

I agree about that. I love School House Rock, but I don't show the 9's. As I recall, it takes place in a bar, and the 9s multiplication tables are puffed out with a big cigar. Too bad they can't update it to be a bit more appropriate -- because I love the rest of them!

7. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Dec 21, 2005

Personally, I like to teach multiplication using arrays to start with. Once the children learn to draw and use arrays, the can solve any problem. Of course it is no replacement for memorizing the facts ... but it is a great way until you do, or if you forget one, or to check the answer on a test.

When memorization time comes, I have a couple of Leap Frog Multiplication Flash games that I send home (one night at a time) with the kids who just never seem to "get the chance' to study flash cards. Funny how they always find the time for the hand-held gameboy-styled practice.

8. AChancetoTeach

AChancetoTeach Comrade

Dec 22, 2005

I've used the music CD from the teacher store with my own children. When my 3rd grader was having a hard time getting the 7's, 8's and 9's, I bought the CD. We have a 20 minute commute and I would pop it in and listen. They were cute songs that also had history involved. One song was about Amelia Earhart (sp?) and one about Benjamin Franklin. I found that it really helped him and we enjoyed the music too! (yes, over and over and over again) :) He hasn't had trouble since!

9. luvmykids

luvmykids Companion

Dec 23, 2005

I have a CD that was left in my room by the old teacher who was there. The kids love to listen to it and is how we start our math time each day. I have noticed that when I do quiz on their facts, some of them mouth the words to the songs to help them out. So I guess it works!!

10. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Dec 23, 2005

We use rays, flashcards, multiplication stories, Mad Minutes, skip counting, banana split, video and more. What works for one, doesn't work for all the students.

11. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

Dec 24, 2005

i don't know if this will help you, but for my students in P.E. we warm up sometimes doing the macarena and we count by whatever number i say. i also have a chart up there to for reference for those who are still struggling to count by multiples in the classroom.