multiplication facts

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by Deeena, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Sep 16, 2009

I was wondering what everyone here does with their students when practicing multiplication facts. Do you incorporate practice into your daily math routine, do you have games that they play, centers, etc.? I'm new to this grade and would love to know what others do to incorporate practice.

3. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Sep 16, 2009

I just got hired to alleviate the overcrowded classroom, but what I think is weird is that these kids have no exposure to multiplication yet. We are still reviewing subtraction, measurement, and money. We use Everyday Math and multiplication is introduced in unit 4 (we just started unit 2). Is that weird? Are you doing multiplication already?

Anyway, have you seen superspeed math from power teaching? I plan on bringing that in in a couple more weeks. Have you made flashcards? They could always pull out flashcards if they finish work early. You could make each number with a big piece of construction paper folded into 12 squares. Different colors for different numbers.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 16, 2009

I started multiplication in the beginning of the year. It takes all year to master, I think.

1. Used square tiles to break into groups. Everyone started with, say, 20 tiles and they saw all the different ways they could be grouped. We saw the difference between horizontal placement (4 rows of 5, say) from vertical placement (5 rows of 4). They learned that 4 x 5 means 4 groups of 5.

2. We used repeated addition with low numbers and demonstrated that adding 2 four times means 4 times 2. We also used hundreds charts and colored multiples.

3. Kids used graph paper to color the arrays for products. We did a few a day and some kids worked ahead.

4. Kids cut out the arrays and mounted them on construction paper.

5. Kids made their own flash cards which they put on rings.

6. We practiced with games every day. Their favorite was simply for me to hold up flash cards and they would write the product on their whiteboards and would get a point for each correct answer. They also practiced in pairs with dice, played product war with sets of flash cards, played around the world.
    I showed them the fingers trick for 9's,

7. Once the concepts were understood completely, they began working on paper and in workbooks.

I gave them (and parents) a deadline to have them memorized (to 12 x 12).

5. kacieann

kacieann Companion

Sep 17, 2009

I normally don't start multiplication till around December, but that's because I always have many students that do not know their addition basic facts. We have to master addition and subtraction first before I start multiplication. I do not expect my students to have all their facts completely memorized by third grade, but I do expect every student to understand how to solve a multiplication problem.

6. Stacey23

Stacey23 Rookie

Sep 21, 2009

There is a lot of multiplication on our state standardized test so we start multiplication right away. Although it's not what we are teaching right now, I took 5 minutes to explain that it is repeated addition and I had them learn the 0's, 1's, 5's, 10's and 11's. Even though I haven't taught the other facts yet we still play games and I'm surprised at how many students get the hard ones right!

Their favorite is around the world! They love it.

I also do a timed drill that I call a starburst. It's a circle and they will write what fact we are doing in the middle and then the problems spoke out from the center. I have a little song they sing before they start and that seems to make them like doing them! As the year goes on I start getting strict on these. If they make a C or below, they have to take it home and get it signed by their parents.

We also have a smartboard so I use multiplication.com. GREAT website, fun games, they really enjoy it.

Oh, and we also have math races against other third grade classes. They enjoy the competition!

7. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Sep 21, 2009

I also use EDM and find it appropriate to wait to start multiplication. Right now we are making sure we have the addition/subtraction basic facts down pat using SuperSpeed math games. This is an important first step to multiplication.

When it is time, I do weekly timed tests with facts 0-1, 0-2, 0-3, etc. Students must get 85% or better correct (out of 40 problems in 5 minutes) to move on. We graph our progress. We also do this "time for sundaes" thing where if they pass the first test they earn a bowl, next test they earn a spoon, and so on until they have built an ice cream sundae for a sundae party.

I gotta say that usually I do NOT do this kind of thing (parties), but it really motivates my students to practice at home. I also like that the tests cover previously learned material, not just one times table.

8. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 21, 2009

I do multiplication starting in late October or November. We don't start memorizing the facts until after winter break! We play games in class and they do warm ups and HW.

We learn 1's, 2's 5's 10's 11's 4's 3's 6's 9's 12's and then 7's. It seems like a weird order, but it makes sense when you look at the patterns.

9. 773 Miles Away

773 Miles Away Comrade

Sep 24, 2009

Repetition is key! I agree with MissFroggy on the order of introducing them.

I send home a worksheet with 80 multiplication problems each night. They can use their multiplication grid to look up the answers if they want... it simply forces them to study.

Repeated Addition and Rectangular Arrays are two great ways for them to understand the CONCEPT of muliplication, which is quite important.

Also... very big and often overlooked... not only should you ask them to solve 4 * 5 = ?, but you need to have them practice ? * 5 = 20, and 4 * ? = 20. Knowing the "fact family" is key when they start using their multiplication in number stories/word problems as well as division... fractions... etc.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 24, 2009

I hate the fact that I have to address this issue in high school, but my freshmen have been starting each class reviewing their times tables-- today they did the 3's and the 7's.

If they can't do their times tables, they'll have a lot of difficulty factoring, so it's well worth the 2 or 3 minutes a day now.

11. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 26, 2009

Wow Alice... that right there is enough for me to make sure we seriously practice the facts this year!

12. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Sep 28, 2009

For a sponge activity...
    Make small squares with construction paper.
    Number each square number 1 through 12
    Make two sets.
    Mix them up
    call on 2 students to not look at their square with the number
    make sure they are going the right direction
    one student can look at the number of the other student
    Then have someone in the class to multiply and give the answer
    Then one of the two students need to figure out what their number is
    I call this Salute Game. It's great for those times before recess, lunch or before school is out.

13. dunwool

dunwool Rookie

Sep 30, 2009

I have the same thing! I am new to third grade this year so I thought that my students were the only ones. We are starting with addition and working out way up. Some understand the concept but I don't think they really understand how it works very well. Mine don't know double digit addition even. We use Saxon math so it doesn't introduce the multiplication until lesson 40 so I am trying to decide whether to introduce it early or not. Does anyone else use Saxon?

14. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Oct 5, 2009

We use everyday math and we won't get there for awhile yet. We still have to do measurement and more time stuff, then it goes into arrays. I am going to do an array activity with graph paper where the kids make each array with the squares on the graph and then you mount them (ongoing) on a huge butcher paper chart. SO they can "see" what 5x5 "looks" like. I saw this done once and I thought it was great.

15. kim@kto5

kim@kto5 Rookie

Oct 9, 2009

I like the idea of having the children make their own set of flashcards in class and then as part of homework, they are to study different sections of the multiplication table. Then we review in class.

I know of one particular student who didn't care for flashcards so I heard about a cool website that teaches math and integrates it with baseball. It's called Baseball Math and it's on funbrain. Even my son loved to use it when he was learning addiyion, subtraction, multiplication and division. Just go to funbrain.com and click on Math Baseball.

16. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Oct 10, 2009

Thanks for the website.:)