Multiplication Facts

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by cMcD, Jun 10, 2008.

1. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Jun 10, 2008

I'm new to third (moving down from 4th). Do you do anything special to help students master their facts?

I remember in 3rd grade that we would use flashcards a lot. In order to pass you had to go through multiplication cards with the teacher. I did Rocket Math with my 4th graders this year.

3. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jun 10, 2008

Well my math program doesn't really stress memorization of the facts. So we did time tests at the end of the year, and they got a certain part of a sunday party for passing each fact family. Bowl, spoon, scoop, topping, etc. I bought a couple sets of flash cards and kept them in an accessible place for my students for when they were finished with their work. I would also send home half of a math drills page or one of these sheets if they didn't pass for the second day in a row. http://www.busyteacherscafe.com/worksheets/two_tables.pdf
    I sent home a multplication table and encouraged my students to make flashcards and found that it was a something that the parents really enjoyed working with their child on.

I hope this helps!

4. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Jun 10, 2008

did you look rocket math at all?

5. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jun 10, 2008

Our math program doesn't stress memorization in 3rd, either. It's more about understanding the conceptual. However, starting after mid-winter break, I send home a packet of problems a week in a specific order. They often had the same problems 2 weeks in a row. Some weeks, I gave a mixed review also, like 6's and 9's together.

1, 2, 5, 10, 11, 3, 6, 9, 4, 8, 12 Review (7's are in the reviews, and at this point the only problem they never had was 7 x 7.)

I use the sheets from math-drills.com. I give them the 100 problem sheets, but use a pen to draw a line every 5 rows. This makes 25 problems a night. I give them 2 sheets, 200 problems altogether. They have this for 7 days (Monday-Monday) for homework. I test on Monday with 50 problems (100 problem sheet cut in half.) I don't expect them to have it down in any certain amount of time, but I keep a stop watch on me. When they finish, they come look at the watch and write down the time (I realize this adds several seconds to their time.) They try to improve each week. Almost all of the kids can now do the review (1-12) in under or around 2 minutes for 50 problems, which I think is great.

This year, we also got through basic division facts under 25 in the last few weeks of HW. I never did that before, but my 4th graders were really strong this year and have memorized all the multiplication and division. This inspired my 3rd graders to memorize the division as well. I wouldn't normally expect this.

I will say, in the past I did it in order, but they had to master one set of facts in under a minute (25 problems) before they moved on. This led a number of kids to never get beyond their 4's!! I think it's much better the way I do it now. Everyone was at least EXPOSED to all of them.

6. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Jun 10, 2008

Did you mean to say, "Do I like rocket math?"

7. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jun 11, 2008

I did rocket math this year with my students. Addition for the first semester and multiplication for the last.

Our school also did a program just for 3rd graders called Math Maniacs. When the students mastered all of their multiplication facts from 0-10 they went up to the principal's office and he tested them with a set of flashcards. If they passed without getting ANY wrong and UNDER 3 minutes they were deamed a Math Maniac. That Friday at a 3rd grade only assembly they were awarded a neon green T-shirt that said MATH MANIAC! on it. All the 3rd graders who had those shirts wore them every Friday.

I have never seen kids practice so hard or so much at home to be able to earn those T-shirts. It was amazing. We had 125 kids in 3rd grade this year and only about 20 kids didn't make it!

8. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Jun 11, 2008

zoerba,
    I love the "Math Maniacs" idea!!

9. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jun 11, 2008

Banana Split Party

Mad Minutes ---We start them at the beginning of the third grade. Addition, next subtraction and when we start multiplication we don't give any more add and sub Mad Minutes. Students must get 20 correct in one minute. This makes students stop counting on their fingers, using point math and number lines. If they get 20 correct they get a piece of candy from the candy jar. (a small piece of individual wrapped candy) They like those fruit square things You get a package of them and put in
    a pretty jar with a lid. Can't think of the name of them. We use
    flashcard drills. Sort out the 0s and they must get them all correct in 40 seconds. And they get a piece of candy. Than we do the 1s in 40 seconds and earn a piece of candy. Oh, yes they are easy, but they had success and you have their attention and you are building self esteem. After we go thru all the flashcards including 10s. We go to the Mad Minutes. Get gumball machine and gumballs at the Dollar Store cheap. If they improve by 3 they get another gumball We do a five minute timing on one hundred facts at the beginning of the year and at the end of each grading period. These are test and stay in their personal file folders in the teachers file cabinet. Now when we start multiplication facts. We do the flashcard thing except this time we work of a banana split party. 0s=napkin, 1s=spoon, 2s=dish, 3s=banana 4s= ice cream 5s=toppings chocolate, strawberry and butterscotch, 6s= crushed Oreo
    cookies 7s=whipped topping 8s= sprinkles 9s=a cherry on top. 10s
    = nuts.... Get at Dollar Store also cheap. They earn a certificate at the end of year assembly with the number of facts they mastered in one minute in each addition, multiplication and subtraction.

10. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jun 11, 2008

I did a time test called, Speed Racer (named it before movie). Anyway, I adapted it from the whole fluency box idea- give the students a set number of problems to master in 1 minute- they graph their progress each day. We work on the same set for a week and then move to the next set. They enjoyed it and the graph I made for them I referred to the tests as "races" and on Friday, if they increased their speed by 4 from the Monday race, they got a ticket to go in the prize box and on Friday we had a ticket drawing. It was fun and the whole timed test idea against themselves worked.

11. iteachstars

iteachstars Rookie

Jun 13, 2008

We do a daily fact practice as well. Each quarter we do a new operation: addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. The goal is 20 problems in 1 minute, after the timer goes off, the students trade papers and we grade them out loud. Whatever problems a student misses are assigned five times each for homework. I know it seems old fashioned- but it has been the most successful technique for me- and seems to help the the ELL students because there is so much language involved.

12. storyh

storyh Companion

Jun 14, 2008

I tried to teach some strategies for remembering certain facts & also gave timed tests every week.

13. lysithea88

lysithea88 Rookie

Jul 24, 2008

I use Rocket Math in our third grade class. Students progress through the levels at their own pace...they only move onto the next one when they have passed the previous one. The program is nice, because it takes into account how fast the student can write. It's also good for scaffolding, as it asks students to learn only two new facts at each level. When I explain that to the kids, they think it's easy. 9 out of 10 students last year were completing 40 facts in a minute, the last one was getting 36 done in a minute. Great program!

14. Miss Bliss

Miss Bliss Companion

Jul 25, 2008

What is rocket math?

15. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Jul 25, 2008

haha, my kids get 7's because of football!! I love it

16. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Jul 25, 2008

Rocket Math is a timed test students take. They are pretested and placed. It goes A-W I believe, starting with addition then subtraction, multiplication, and division.

17. MollyT

MollyT Companion

Jul 26, 2008

Thank you for this post. I am getting a support person during maths and am putting her with the beginner group for times tables. Was thinking of activities she could do and totally didnt even think about flash cards. I have some in the cupboard and will add them to her list of activities.

Thanks again for jogging my memory and thought processe.

18. Stacey23

Stacey23 Rookie

Jul 27, 2008

We have math races among our classes. One class will compete against another class with the multiplication facts. The class that won were mentioned on the morning announcements and were the 3rd Grade Math Champions for the week. The kids loved seeing their class on the announcements. After my class lost a few times they started working extra hard and started winning all the time. They improved drastically!

19. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Jul 28, 2008

This is an awesome idea! Who paid for the shirts?? How long did it take for the principal to test them, or did you just do it when the particular kid felt like he/she was ready? Also, where did you get the shirts? I'm stealing this idea!!

20. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 29, 2008

I just added a few more multiplication sites on my class links website. I'll also be adding my old ones back on later if you want to check back in a week or so.

125Class Connection

21. MissV

MissV Companion

Jul 30, 2008

When I teach multiplication, I always teaching "counting' first. You know, the easy ones are :1s, 2s, 5s, & 10s

Rhymes, chants, songs:
    x0: He's no hero, anything times zero is always zero

x1: Multiplying by one is an ea-sy game, the number and the answer are exactly the same

x2: [chant]

x3: [song: take me out to the ballgame]
    ze-ro thre-ee six nine twelve [take me out the ba-ll game]
    fif-teen eigh-teen twenty-one [take me out the crowd]
    twen-ty-fo-ur twen-ty se-ven [buy me some peanuts and cracker jacks]
    thir-ty thir-ty-three thi-ir-ty-six [I don't care if I never get back]
    {Root root root for your 3s, if you don't know 'em it's a shame, 'cause it's 1,2,3 times tables, let's sing them a'gain!]

x4: [song: silent night]
    ze-e-ro four [silent night] ei-i-ght twelve [holy night]
    sixteen twenty [all is calm] twenty-four twenty-eight [all is bright]
    thir-ty two-oo-oo [round yon virgin] thir-ir-ty six [mother and child]
    Forty For-ty-fo-our[holy infant] for-or-ty eight[so tender and mild]
    We can sing our fours [sleep in heavenly peace] x2

x5: [chant]

x6: [song: santa clause is coming to town]
    ze-ro six [you better watch out]
    twelve eighteen [you better not cry]
    twentyfour [you better not pout]
    thiirty [I'm telling you why]
    thirty-six forty-two [Santa clause is coming to town]
    forty-eight [He knows when you are sleeping.]
    fi-i-ifty-four [He knows when you're awake]
    sixty sixty six [He knows when you've been bad or good]
    seventy-two, seventy eight, eighty four [So be good for goodness sakes]
    [You better watch out, you better not cry, you better not pout I'm telling you why, Santa six is coming to town.]

x7: [chant]

x8: [song: Joy to our 8s]
    ze-ro eight sixteen [Joy to the world]
    twenty-four[The lord has come]
    thirty-two forty forty-eight[Let earth, receive her king]
    fifty-six sixty-four[Let every heart, prepare him room]
    seventy-two eighty eighty-eight[And heaven and nature sing]
    ninety-six one-hundred-four[and heaven and nature sing]
    Weeee will siiing our eights some more[and heeaaven and heaven and nature sing]

x9: [use fingers to count]
    counting nines on our fingers is reeallly great
    But don't forget 99, or one-hundred-eight

x10: if you - want to - multiply - by ten
    all you have to do is add a zero to the end

/10: if you -want to- divide- by ten
    move the decimal or take the zero from the end

x11: [count & chant]
    elevens - are - so - very - easy - to - do
    with one-hundred-twenty-one
    and one-hundred-thirty-two

x12: [rhyme: twinkle twinkle]