Multiplication Facts?

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by nboris827, Aug 28, 2010.

1. nboris827

nboris827 Rookie

Aug 28, 2010

Hello!

I just moved from 2nd to 4th grade. I know that it is crucial that the students master their multiplication facts quickly in 4th grade, but I'm not sure how to do this. Are there any quick (5-10 minutes/day) games to play as a class for the first few weeks of school to review their facts before I start fact tests?

Thanks!

3. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Aug 28, 2010

When I was in 5th grade, our math teacher had us come to the board and face off one-on-one. He would give us two numbers to see who could multiply them the fastest. The winner got to keep facing new challengers until (s)he lost.

It provided a lot of incentive and competitiveness among the students that liked doing stuff like that, but didn't appeal to the lower-level students (obviously).

During Summer Camp, I tried this, but divided the group into teams (so the lower learners could still give it a try but could still "win" even if they didn't get their particular problem right.

For Summer Camp, I pitted the boys against the girls, which increased the natural competition between them. :)

This might not be the best approach, but it may be a fun game to play at the end of class one day.

4. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Aug 28, 2010

As part of the daily math block, I give my students some sort of multiplication practice such as 'write the 4 fact from 0 - 12 in your math journal or I give them a timed quiz such as the ones that can be found here:
    http://www.multiplication.com/learnfacts.htm
    The game is a great idea!

5. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 28, 2010

Have students use playing cards to play a variation of 'war.' Take out the Kings. Aces=1, Jacks=11, and Queens=12. Students play with partners. Each student plays his top card. The student who multiplies the two cards together the quickest gets to keep both cards.

This way every student is involved at the same time instead of only the kids at the board or 'up' during a game of Around the World.

6. newsub_oldlady

newsub_oldlady Rookie

Aug 28, 2010

Looking for support on this site

I am just learning the interface set up here, I don't even know your name. I searched until I could post my own thread but none ever came up except a 'Reply' to you. I am hoping you can set me straight. Where do I go to post this query?

" I am a substitute from K-12, regular and special ed. Thankfully my daunting first year is over and I am embarking on the second year of experience. My question to teachers I sub for is this :
    Would you rather have your students get their work done for the day, or have a fun experience? The reason I ask is, after my first year of peddling my fears ( of administration, my agency, My lack of experience), I have noticed the variety of lesson plans teachers leave. As a sub, I also have to consider the grade level and integrity of the class. Lets just say, if the class is not well enough behaved for the sub, am I still expected to get the work completed?

7. nboris827

nboris827 Rookie

Aug 28, 2010

This may go in the General Education Forum. You can access it by clicking on the AtoZTeacherForums link on the top of the page. I hope this helps!

8. traveler

traveler Comrade

Sep 2, 2010

I saw on sub site (maybe this one??) where for adding and subtracting practice the kids walked around with unifix cubes. When the teacher said stop the kids had to find a partner and add them up. So I was thinking if you made two concentric circles with the same number of kids in each, gave them each a card with a number on it and had them walk/dance (with music?) around the circles until the music stops or you say stop. The partners can work together or it can be a competition to come up with the answer first. I may try it and it gives the kinesthetic learners some movement.

9. traveler

traveler Comrade

Sep 2, 2010

Thought of another one...
    1. project numbers on the wall (or write them on the board, or tape them up) You could even make this part of P.E. and tape them up on a hand ball court with the kids running to touch the right answer with their hand.
    2. two students face off with fly swatters
    3. call out a math fact
    4. whichever student hits the correct number with their fly swatter gets a point for their team.

I used to play this with vocab words when I taught Spanish and they kids LOVED it.

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 3, 2010

They could play scoot!

11. corney

corney Companion

Sep 3, 2010

is this game where one student stands behind one sitting and the one that answers correctly first moves on and the other stays in that position.. either sitting or standing? My daughters class was doing that in 3rd grade. the kids really liked playing it..

12. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Sep 3, 2010

My CT and I quiz our kids anytime they're in line. Bathroom breaks, waiting to go into the cafeteria, waiting for specials, etc. We give a stamp on our incentive card for each correct answer. They get really into it!

13. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 3, 2010

This is how to play it (I copied it from PT)
    Now, someone asked on this PT thread how to use task cards to play scoot, but obviously, you can play this game with any subject, with any types of questions. Concept's still the same.

14. tgim

tgim Habitué

Sep 4, 2010

There are great practice ideas here! For managing mastery and keeping students pumped up I used Vista Print to print a business card that is a punch card. We will punch the box that corresponds to the multiplication facts they have mastered. I don't have it at home, but I think we did 3s, 4s, 6s, then 0-6s, 7s, 8s, 9s, and then 0-10s. I didn't want to use a box for 0s, 1s, 2s but incorporated these into the others.