Multiplication/Division Facts

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by EiffelTower, Jul 21, 2013.

1. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jul 21, 2013

I'm looking for some ideas as to how I can track when a student masters a multiplication/division fact. I've done the ice cream sundae before where each fact corresponds to a spoon, ice cream, topping, bowl, etc. I saw an idea where you display each fact on an ice cream cone and when a student masters a fact, a scoop is placed above the cone.

Any other ideas? Thanks!

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2013

My 3rd grade teacher did a horizontal race car chart.

4. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2013

Try to avoid public displays as it upsets those who struggle to learn the facts. I use a punch card. It has x0, x1, x2, etc around the border. When they master the fact I use a hole punch an make a hole through the numbers. They are kept in their math folders.

5. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2013

I do the sundaes, but my kids have a drawing of a sundae in their fact folder, and color each section after I check them off. (Also, after the basics, they got to choose which sundae topping went with each number).

Depending on how your classroom runs, I would also suggest www.xtramath.org if your students would have access to computers during the day to work on facts. The website is free, and it gives each student targeted practice and tracks their mastery of each fact.

6. Sm2teach

Sm2teach Companion

Jul 23, 2013

As my students learned each set of facts I gave them a cutout of that number. We start with 9s, so when they learn 9s the get a 9. To keep them motivated to keep testing, if they get a 100 on a test they get a sticker to put on their 9. If they make a 100 on a test they don't have to test anymore that week. They can read at their desk for 5 minutes while the rest of the class tests. Most choose to test though so they can earn a sticker. It seems to work.