multiple twins

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by brennanj, Jul 1, 2009.

1. brennanj

brennanj Rookie

Jul 1, 2009

This is my first posting. I'm hoping someone can help me or at least give advice on having multiple twins in my classroom. I teach at a catholic school. I will have 15 students in my room next year. Out of those 15 I will have 3 SETS OF TWINS. :) Yes 3! One set are boys, the other two boys/girls. Fortunetly, none of them are identical. In one of the set of twins the girl is very bossy over her brother. As I read, this usually seems to be the case. Anyone else have this happen before????

Thanks in advance for any advice.

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 1, 2009

I only had one set of twins in my class last year. I had them sit at separate tables. They did very well, they were identical and mom dressed them the same. This year we have five sets of twins coming into kindergarten but we have six k classrooms.

4. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2009

I've had twins, siblings, identical cousins, and "sisters" who spent near all their waking time outside of class together.

Never a big deal. No more likely to be a problem than anything else.

5. tiffharmon2001

tiffharmon2001 Comrade

Jul 1, 2009

The year before last, I had two sets of identical twins (who happened to have the same birthday even-s0 four of my PreK students turned 5 on the same day!) One set was completely dependent on each other and was a bit of a problem if anyone ever tried to sit between them or stand between them in line. I talked to the mother and told her if the problems continued we would have to move one of them to the other class. We discussed it with the girls and they adjusted their behavior pretty well because they wanted to be together. The other twins were pretty independent of each other and were fine.

6. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2009

I teach PreK, and it's a needs-based program. One of the qualifying factors that will get a child in is birth weight under 6 lbs. Since twins are often smaller than singletons, I get a lot of twins. One year, out of 40 kids, I had 5 sets of twins (one identical girl, one girl/girl fraternal, the rest boy/girl), along with one set of triplets and 2 cousins to the triplets.

Their behavior really depends on what's happened at home up until the point they enter school. I have had problems with twins being overly dependent on each other, refusing to play/work/talk with anyone else, I've had cases where one twin was really dominant and the other never spoke or made choices on his own, and then I've had cases where you'd never know they are related.

My biggest pet peeve is when the parents treat them as one being. They aren't Sam and Jack, they are "the twins," and they always have to do everything together. Sometimes, the parents even instruct the kids to go to the same center choices all of the time, they always dress them alike, they won't allow the kid to attend a play date if the twin isn't included, they share a room, they only take the same lessons/sports/enrichment classes (and if one wants to try something new, the other has to agree, or they can't do it.) My sil was like this, all the way until her twins left for college, and then when they chose different colleges, she refused to help them pay for it.
    Kim

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2009

I've taught multiple sets of twins... you really don't teach them any differently than you would other kids.

My first year, we were on modular scheduling-- you might see a class at 10 am one day and 2pm the next. As a Catholic school, our kids were in uniform. I've got to admit: it was October before I realized that Cathleen and Eileen were identical twins and not the same person!! Another year I had identicals, and only the fact that Nick had bad acne that year enabled me to tell them apart.

This year I had 1 of 2 twins I had taught 2 years ago. In class, I knew Dan from Matt. But in the hallway, it was "Hey, how are you???" instead of "Hey Dan!"

But as far as how you treat them: they're two different people. The only time I can imagine it coming up is in the event that one is home sick... "Katy, do you want to bring home Kelly's homework?" kind of stuff.

Beyond that, it's a non-issue. Sister is NOT allowed to boss her brother around any more than she's allowed to dictate anyone else's actions.

8. brennanj

brennanj Rookie

Jul 2, 2009

Thanks for all of your input. I think one set of parents are more worried than the other parents. Wondering "how will I deal with 'all of these ' twins. I do strongly feel that they are each their own individual, just like everyone else in my class.

9. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2009

Our school has a policy that twins will be separated and put in different classrooms. If you can do that, I highly recommend it. It gives each twin an opportunity to be him/herself instead of just so-and-so's twin. Parents who have objected to it in the end have really appreciated the development each child has been able to have independent of the other.

10. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jul 2, 2009

I have had twins before, just remember they are their own person and may be totally opposite of eachother. I too didn't seat them together.

11. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2009

I had 4 sets of twins the year I taught K and there were no issues at all. Now I'm expecting my own identical twins.

12. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 2, 2009

congrats on your own twins. When are you do? girls or boys?