Multiple Subjects II advice needed. . .

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by moondoggie, Feb 28, 2016.

1. moondoggie

moondoggie Rookie

Feb 28, 2016

Hello Everyone,
    Today I took the CSET Multiple-Subject II subtest for the "umteenth!" I can only hope I did well and reached the 220 score. Two times already I have missed it by 1 point (219/220). I am in my 2nd year teaching Young Adults (an SDC class), and have been working under a Short-Term Staff Permit and Provisional Internship Permit. My next step is to move into Internship status to maintain my teaching position. I feel lost, discouraged, and want to give up due to this test, but I WON'T! I have math anxiety and have had trouble with the Math-Constructed Responses on the CSET. Science, I am pretty strong at. I have been using CliffNotes, Barrons, and took on Teacher Test Prep (a month ago) for studying. I'm reaching out to ask people what they are doing about anxiety, when you go into the exam, you see certain questions, clam up and go blank?! Any other sources I should try? This is my last Subtest I need out of the Multiple Subjects Tests. . . Anyone recommend any tips, hints, advice?

Moondoggie feeling lost and frustrated in Northern California. . . :(

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 29, 2016

As you write your response, who do you have in mind as your audience?

4. moondoggie

moondoggie Rookie

Feb 29, 2016

Hi TeacherGroupie, Thank you for replying. . . I don't have anyone and/or people in particular that I think about. I know I think to myself, "How am I am going to get through this problem, where do I start, what do I do, sometimes feel flooded with recall of things I studied for and/or equations I worked out." To sum it up I get really nervous and anxiety filled. Sometimes, I have looked back and even questioned is it the sources I am using to study, or self-sabotaging myself in over-thinking?

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 29, 2016

Think about helping a fellow professional who knows the content but who's stuck here. If you were emailing a very fast runthrough with the problem spelled out and with technical terminology, what would it show?

Do please bear in mind your audience: fellow professionals, people who know math and teach it to elementary students. Using math talk where appropriate goes a long way toward demonstrating that you're equipped to join their ranks.

6. moondoggie

moondoggie Rookie

Feb 29, 2016

Thank you TeacherGroupie for the feedback. . . I will definitely keep this in mind. By chance are there any other materials I should be using for studying CSET MS II? I am being optimistic about my recent test; However, just wanted to ask, just in case I need to re-take it again.
    :roll:

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 29, 2016

Anything that (a) increases your enthusiasm about math and science and (b) gets you using the technical terminology, really. Southern California is bristling with fine hands-on science museums, aquariums, and more, and a roller coaster is full-body immersion in Newton's laws of motion.

8. moondoggie

moondoggie Rookie

Mar 25, 2016

Hi TeacherGroupie, and anyone else who looks at this. . . I want to thank you for all the feedback, and positive reinforcement on this website. I finally passed my CSET Multi-Subject II Subtest-- This was the last one I needed out of the 3. I received the email an hour ago, and I am so relieved!!!!

For those taking the CSETs, keep at it. . . YOU CAN DO IT! My next step is the RICA Exam! Nervous but excited to move to the next step. . .

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 25, 2016

Congratulations, moondoggie!

moondoggie likes this.
  10. EddieMSmith

EddieMSmith Rookie

Mar 26, 2016

Speaking for myself, when I was taking the CBEST, the Barron's was the worst. The CliffNotes and Arco books were the ones that got me through it.

11. moondoggie

moondoggie Rookie

Mar 26, 2016

Hi EddieMSmith, have you taken the RICA yet?

12. EddieMSmith

EddieMSmith Rookie

Mar 26, 2016

No, as far as I know, I'm not required to take it. I'm going for high school special ed science.

moondoggie likes this.
  13. KLA

KLA Rookie

Apr 26, 2016

That is so great you passed. I just took it for the third time today, and our stories sound SOOO similar. I am pretty decent at science, but the math is difficult for me. Also, I blank and feel like I have to read the questions over and over. The most frustrating part is I study and study and then totally different concepts are on the CS. Can you share what worked for you? Did you feel positive when you left? I feel OK with the CS part, so now I am losing faith. The other times I got a 219/220 and 210/220. Any input would be awesome.

moondoggie likes this.
  14. moondoggie

moondoggie Rookie

May 1, 2016

Hi KLA,

I apologize for the late response; However, here we go. . . After I took the CSETs several times, I came out feeling indifferent. The reason being, is that on previous tests I felt good when I came out of them, that I did well. . . then found out my results, and did not pass. And, vice versa. I am uncertain if you read my other post on another thread but it answers what you are asking-------

I started out with the Cliffnotes Book with the CD that is included. I hate to admit this but I had to take CSET II several times due to my math anxiety, but I kept at it and worked on it everyday. I added on Barron's Test Prep Book, and I went to the CTC site and worked on the Practice Test. If you can take Practice Tests that will help you. Make sure you know your Geometry Equations for 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional (Circle, Square, Rectangle, etc). Also, at the beginning of the test when it goes through the Tutorial Section, use that as time to write down all the equations down, so you don't have to recall them during the test-- you will have them written down already when you come up to a question that will require you to work it out. Make sure you know the Pythagorean Theorem Equation and know how to work it out.

Again, I don't mean to scare you but I want to tell what helped me and what I went through. . .
    Study everyday if you can so you won't feel so overwhelmed when you come up to your test date.

If you have any other questions, ask. . . . :)
    You can do this KLA!

15. KLA

KLA Rookie

May 20, 2016

Just found out I did not pass again. I am SO disappointed That is number 3. I have scored a 219, studied harder got a 214, studied again and today got a 218. I am so discouraged. I am coming back in the field from being a stay at home, so had to take the CSET MS because for my special ed credential they would not take my single subject any more. SO here I stand. I have my MASTERS degree and my autism authorizaton BUT can not even get a job because I have not passed CSET subtest 2. Passed the others on the first attempt. I am even more frustrated that you can't get feedback for what you missed. I got science +++ and math ++. I am not that strong in math, but this is pathetic. Feeling very disappointed and helpless. Any positive stories ???

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 20, 2016

Hugs, KLA. Was that ++ for math multiple choice or for math overall constructed response or both? What diagnostics are you seeing - p, k, s, checkmark - on which of your four constructed responses?

17. KLA

KLA Rookie

May 20, 2016

Thank you. yes I got +++ for science and MC overall. I got a ++ on math. I was surprised I got a ++ on overall constructive response. I actually thought I nailed on CR on laws of gravity. I know everything on that , so was shocked to see I got a K. I either got a p or K on all four. I was really hoping my strength in science would balance my weaker math, but it did not. Those CR are a joke. I had one on my knowledge on hydroponics??? SO silly. feeling mad that I have to fork out ANOTHER $100 and another month of studying.

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 20, 2016

You're very close to passing. If you're not seeing s, you're supporting your answers well enough to make the scorers happy. Good!

p generally means the response missed the point of the question. This can mean having given an answer that's wrong, but it can include not having answered all the parts of the question that was given. The good news in either cases is that not getting the answer right is not necessarily a disaster: a wrong answer that's well-argued and shows a grasp of the subject matter should score no worse than 2 from at least one scorer.

k generally means the response isn't showing enough subject-matter knowledge; exactly how that plays out varies from question to question, but the scorers want to see the kind of discussion, with technical terms where appropriate, that would take place between adults who know the content.

Let me pose a question for you:

"Explain the difference between a factor and a multiple, and show how each concept comes into play in addition of unlike fractions."

19. KLA

KLA Rookie

May 20, 2016

20. KLA

KLA Rookie

May 20, 2016

Thank you for the clarification. If I were to answer that question I would talk about the difference between fractions and multiples. Saying multiples of a number are what you get after multiplying the number by an integer not a fraction. For example. a multiple of 6 is any number that can be divided by 6 without a remainder Like 6, 12, 18 . A factor of 6 would be any number that can be divided into 6 without a remainder like 1,2, 3 and 6. You can use factoring in finding the LCM or GCM when you want to convert the unlike fractions into equivalent like fractions ....... when adding or subtracting fractions.

Is this what you mean? I have been stuck with difficult measurement questions on the CR. Talking about measuring siding for roof , building with several windows, and then trickier stuff added on

Wish I could pinpoint what to study. The first time I took it had a lot of weather patterns , so I studied a bunch on that. They next time had more physical science.... Do you know how many versions of the test there are? Geez maybe one of these days I will come something I've done before...

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 21, 2016

Your response would get a p and a k and possibly an s.

This question has two parts:

1. Explain the difference between a multiple and a FACTOR: it sounds like you're setting out to explain the difference between a multiple and a FRACTION, and that's just weird - though you do then give successful examples of factors and multiples.

2. SHOW how each concept comes into play in the addition of unlike fractions. You mustered the concept of LCM, and that's good, but you mention it with "GCM" (which would have to mean "greatest common MULTIPLE"; if that wasn't a nasty typo, it's a huge mistake, because that number that doesn't exist: one can always find a still greater multiple). Worse, you didn't SHOW the concepts in adding unlike fractions: that is, you didn't make up a pair of unlike fractions and walk us through adding them.

Try again. Let's see fewer non-math words and more math in action.