Multiple rounds of interviews—what to expect?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MathTeach24, Apr 29, 2009.

1. MathTeach24

MathTeach24 Rookie

Apr 29, 2009

I recently had the principal from a private school call me about a position for the upcoming school year. We talked for approximately 30 minutes on the phone. He then had me in for an interview the following week. I spent all day at this school. I met with the principal, the guidance counselor, the reverend, the president, the dean of faculty, and I even taught a class. Now he has called me in for another interview. I was told it would be similar in length to the other interview. There were only two other candidates for the job. What should I expect when I go in next week? Is this a good thing? What do I wear? What should I be prepared to discuss? I really want this job so I would like to be as prepared as possible. Any information would be great!

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Apr 29, 2009

wow - to very honest, I really don't know what else they do and ask you to do.

As for what you should be prepared for, just to do the same things again. I really can't imagine what else you would do?? I think you should dress professionally - since you have been in the school take clues from what you saw other teachers wearing.

Good Luck and keep us posted - I am interested in what your second interview will be like also :)

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 29, 2009

Jeez, I think the Bachelor spent less time picking his fiance! This must be a very professional school...whatever happens, you should feel honored!

I'd wear professional dress-suit-and maybe, just in case, prepare a knock-their-socks-off lesson in case they ask you to teach again.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 29, 2009

I agree with the previous suggestions. I can't imagine what else they would have you do. It could be that it is down to you and one other candidate and they will have you do the same thing to compare you two to see which one is the better fit.

6. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 30, 2009

I agree with the other posters and just wanted to say good luck!!!

7. MathTeach24

MathTeach24 Rookie

Apr 30, 2009

Thanks for all the support. The principal informed me that I would be meeting with him to discuss more "teacher-type" things, get a chance to spend some time with the math department, and simply have some free time to roam the school & visit any classes that I wanted to visit. Is a pair of dress pants and a blouse appropriate or do you think I should wear my suit again? I really want this job!

8. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 30, 2009

Can you wear a suit with a jacket that you can take off when you walk around? I'm thinking one of those cool ruffle shirts underneath, silky, that look so nice when you take the jacket off.

Err...I think I am assuming you are female...

Either way, if you are male, wear a nice shirt (if you wear white, wear an undershirt-maybe a cool colored shirt), of course a tie, then you can take the jacket off later.

9. MathTeach24

MathTeach24 Rookie

May 6, 2009

I got the job!

I had my second interview yesterday. It went great. I was offered a contract at the end of my visit. They asked questions about my classroom management, what my role and the administrations role was in discipline, and then gave me time to roam the school and observe other teachers. I think I'm really going to like it there.

10. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 6, 2009

Congratulations! That's awesome news!

11. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

May 6, 2009

Good for you! Send some good vibes our way!
    Congrats!
    Melissa

12. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 6, 2009

I work at a private school, did the exact same thing as you (phone interview and then an all day round of interviews at the school), and when they told me I would actually need another day of interviews it turned out to be one interview with the headmaster and to be offered a contract :) So this is excellent news for you--- you might have to talk to a few more people but you're going in the right track.

Even if there are some other people trying for the position, stay positive! In my dept, 2 teachers left and they hired 3 to replace them. If they like you and can afford to have a teacher, I'm sure they'll take more than 1.

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 6, 2009

Congrats on the job!!!

14. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

May 6, 2009

congrats

15. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 6, 2009

Congrats :) Do you know what you will be teaching??

16. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 7, 2009

Yay mathteach!!! I added you to the 2009 jobs list!! Will you be teaching hs math? (if not, let me know and I'll change what I listed you as) Congrats!!!!!!!