multiple questions

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by teaching4God, Jul 15, 2008.

1. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Jul 15, 2008

How do you differentiate instruction for this grade level? Specific examples please. Also, if you have suggestions for incorporating technology into the classroom it would be appreciated.

3. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2008

I differentiate in all subject areas.
    Math- different levels of curriculum (we have a group of 2nd graders who work in the 3rd grade curriculum)
    Reading- books and level of questioning, comprehension stratetgies used depending on levels
    Writing- from focusing on basic sentence structure to 12 sentence paragraphs

4. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jul 16, 2008

Here are a few ways I used it with my second graders last year:

~Students chose multiple ways to work on addition and subtraction facts (math triangles, Flashmaster, fact games, flash cards, etc.
    ~Students chose how to gather information for their insect reports(interview, computer website, books, etc)
    ~Students chose how to practice their spelling words (rainbow writing, stamps, swirly writing, magazine letter cut-outs)
    ~Students chose how to share their planet information (report, childrens' book, rap/song, trivia questions)
    ~Students chose their writing topic from a broad topic and then chose how to write their information (informational paragraph, realistic fiction story, instructional paper)

5. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Jul 16, 2008

You guys are really good at this? Being a new teacher it seems very overwhelming especially when you are trying to explain it in interviews. I got lots of good ideas. Do you find it hard to differentiate all those subjects though?

6. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jul 16, 2008

You can differentiate by process, content or product. You don't have to do every one every single time, but adding in just one way of differentiating at the beginning is do-able, I think. During interviews, I have usually let the interviewers know that I differentiate in three ways (and tell the three ways) and then give an example of how I have used each of the ways in my classroom.

Differentiation is a lot about choices- I give students choices from several possibilities that I know will help them learn the material or a process. It is also about learning styles- kids can choose something that fits with their learning style(s).

7. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 20, 2008

You don't have to have everything mastered your first year. You'll have those bright babies that you'll enjoy a whole lot more if you meet their needs through differentiation. You just tell the interviewers that is will be based on specific needs of your students. My kiddos are all identified gifted w/many various needs. It's hard. They almost need their own IEP's.

8. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2008

It boils down to meeting the needs of the individual learners in your classroom. Interviewers look to see if you have that flexibility and interest in meeting individual strengths and needs.

9. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Jul 27, 2008

One way I differentiate in math is through the use of manipulatives. I always introduce a skill through manipulatives. We then move on to drawing pictures instead of physical manpulatives, but students who need them can still use the manipulatives. We then move on to the abstract concept. Students who need to can still draw or use manipulatives. I also differentiate in the number of problems students may need to complete, or, as Mable said, the number of sentences required for a paragraph. In writing, I let my high flyers go it alone, with support from me as requested, I guide my on-grade-level students through the writing, and give my struggling students a writing frame to use a support. These are the more obvious things I can think of off the top of my head.