Multiple PECS requests for the same thing

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by teachersk, Oct 4, 2008.

1. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Oct 4, 2008

Three of my six students communicate using PECS.

I have one student who will CONTINUOUSLY ask for the playground, even after we show him the schedule.

I end up having to take the playground card from his notebook (which I know is against PECS protocol because it's like taking words from a kids mouth) -- but it becomes SO distracting and we can't get anything done with him.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to better deal with this, as opposed to taking the card from his notebook?

Typically, he'll ask, and we'll say, "Nice job using your words. The playground IS fun, but we have to wait until work is finished." Then we point to the visual schedule that depicts this.

We put the cards back in his book. He pulls them back out and puts them back on his strip.

"____, we just talked about this - playground comes after work." (Point to the schedule, he points with us, etc.)

We put the cards back in his book. He pulls them back out and puts them back on his strip.

We ignore, put the cards back in his book. (As you would with a verbal child. Explain the situation, then ignore).

He continues! It goes ON and ON!

I don't want to have to take the Playground card from his book, but I don't know what else to do!

Any ideas? (This is a kid who's high enough cognitively to understand, but is just being a "pill.")

3. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Oct 5, 2008

sk - I don't think taking the pic out of the book is wrong at all. Like you said, he's doing it on purpose. What I would do is put it back in each morning (if you can remember), and tell him prior to removing it, "_____, if you continue to talk to me about the playground, then I will take this picture away. Please leave it in your book for now." That way it's his choice that it's being removed.

4. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Oct 5, 2008

I have a similar situation, but with a GoTalk device that has 36 buttons, and a child that uses it always keeps pressing one button that says "I want to run and play", so you can hear the message ALL THE TIME! Hearing the message is more annoying! I also show him his schedule that we will go out to play but after whatever we're doing (first work, then run and play), but he just keeps pushing the button and looking at me with really sad eyes). I know he has a lot of comprehension.
    I can't turn off the device because that would be like taking his voice away. So if he persists, I say with a very firm and direct voice, "Stop it! I know you want to run and play outside, but right now we have to do some work".

5. bethechange

bethechange Comrade

Oct 5, 2008

Could you stick a universal no sign on the PEC after he has handed it to you a few times? I have some clear cling-on ones I use on our food PECS at lunch time, to indicate that they cannot have anymore of a particular food.

Or, in a pinch, drawing on one with a wipe-off marker works also! :)

6. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Oct 6, 2008

I use Pecs but in HS but we use it mainly for food and how we feel and that is the only time we use it unless I need it for what I am teaching. We did that because it took so very long to go throught he book to find certain things. So now I use a clipboard and only put the items on it we need for that lesson. HE still has his book for food and how he is feeling, but when he got used to having rec and leisure time and always wanted to play games. We removed that card and only put it up as an option during 4th period when we had rec & Leisure.

There is nothing wrong with removing the playground card, but I would bring this to the attention of the SLP who got him started on the PECS or who is servicing him now so that they can address it during Speech or give you another option.