Multiple Job Offers - What to Do?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by mariah, Apr 12, 2007.

  1. mariah

    mariah Rookie

    Joined:
    May 21, 2006
    Messages:
    44
    Likes Received:
    0

    Apr 12, 2007

    Recently I had an interview with a local school (one of my top choices based on location) and was recommended for the position. I cancelled the other interview I had schedule because the school was not on of my top choices in terms of location. Today, a school I am very interested in has called me for an interview. I haven't actually signed a contract with the district for the first job offer yet and I really want to go on the latest interview (which is with the same district), but is that completely wrong of me? I feel like I need to watch out for myself and explore all options, but I also worry about what would happen if I'm offered the other job and have to turn down the one I already accepted. Any advice?
     
  2.  
  3. JaimeMarie

    JaimeMarie Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2005
    Messages:
    10,120
    Likes Received:
    0

    Apr 12, 2007

    It's not a guarantee that you will get the second job. It's just an interview. Take the job that was offered.
     
  4. mariah

    mariah Rookie

    Joined:
    May 21, 2006
    Messages:
    44
    Likes Received:
    0

    Apr 12, 2007

    Thanks Jaime!

    The one luxury I have right now is that HR hasn't called me to sign the contract, so I could go on the interview and just see what happens. I think that's what makes it so tempting!


     
  5. snickydog

    snickydog Groupie

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2006
    Messages:
    1,481
    Likes Received:
    0

    Apr 12, 2007

    I'd go on the interview, just in case things fall through. How soon is this interview?
     
  6. clarnet73

    clarnet73 Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2002
    Messages:
    6,123
    Likes Received:
    0

    Apr 12, 2007

    IF you can go on the 2nd interview and have an answer before you'll need to sign papers for the first positon, I'd say go for it.

    I envy you... haven't gotten a call yet at all!!
     
  7. JaimeMarie

    JaimeMarie Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2005
    Messages:
    10,120
    Likes Received:
    0

    Apr 13, 2007

    Oh yeah go on it. I thought you had signed the contract!
     
  8. Aliceacc

    Aliceacc Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2006
    Messages:
    27,534
    Likes Received:
    6

    Apr 13, 2007

    If you hadn't gotten the second interview, how happy would you have been with the first offer? If only so-so, then I say go for the second.

    But if it was "take me out to dinner, I've got my dream job" type of stuff, then I say take the offer and don't take any other interview calls. You'll drive yourself nuts if you second guess your decisions.

    Plus, down the road, if you do decide the first isn't for you: I would imagine #2 would have more respect for you, having turned down an interview, then if you spend their time on an interview but turn down an offer.

    Does that make sense?
     
  9. mariah

    mariah Rookie

    Joined:
    May 21, 2006
    Messages:
    44
    Likes Received:
    0

    Apr 13, 2007

    Good point Alice! I am very happy with my first offer. The two schools are sort of like my first and second choices based on location. One is just a newer school (and I would have a friend who worked there too) and one is older and smaller (where I have the offer).

    Basically I have taken the offer and I also said I would go to the interview with the second school. The principal doesn't even want to interview me for 2 weeks, so I figure if they call me before then to sign my contract then the decision is made and I will be SIGNING AWAY! :)

     

Share This Page

Members Online Now

  1. SaraFirst,
  2. catnfiddle,
  3. MntnHiker,
  4. Jemms100
Total: 468 (members: 4, guests: 435, robots: 29)
test