multiple job offers-what do you do?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by tinafirstgrade, Mar 11, 2007.

1. tinafirstgrade

tinafirstgrade Rookie

Mar 11, 2007

Hi everyone, I'm starting the job search just as all of you. It's exciting but nerve wracking as well! I have several job fairs lined up and multiple opportunities for interviews opening up. I have no doubt that I will be offered several positions, not because I'm cocky but the area I live in is desperate for teachers and I feel confident in my abilities.

As a first year teacher, what is the protocol when you have several offers but are waiting for the "one" you want? For example, if you are offered your first position but have several other interviews set up, what do you say?

"I have several other interviews this week, I cannot give you an answer today. I can give you the final word by this Friday. "

But what if the other job fairs or interviews don't start for almost a month afterwards??? :confused:

3. ctopher

ctopher Comrade

Mar 11, 2007

Well you can always ask for a few days to think about it, but most will only give you a day or 2 at most. You could also accept an offer that would be a good fit for you if "the one" didn't pan out. Then if you get offered the job you really want you can back out on the first. Not the most professional thing to do, but it does happen a lot!

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 11, 2007

Last year I had 2 offers, as well as a request from my old school to let them know before I accepted anything else. I got the other 2 offers on a Thursday and Friday. I asked for the weekend, contacted my old school, and was hired by them by Saturday morning.

I agree wtih ctopher that the most leeway you'll get is a day or two. Given the job climate where you are, I suggest you not accept any offer you're not crazy about. Do your homework ahead of time and be careful where you apply.

Once you've accepted an offer, I say you're employed and you turn down anything else. I agree-- people do back out all the time. But I think that, as professionals and adults, our word should mean more than that. So do your homework, apply only to schools you think you're really interested in, and keep your word when you give it.

Best wishes!

5. educatingme

educatingme Companion

Mar 11, 2007

When I first started interviewing, I had my heart set on one particular position...I waited and waited for that position to be offered to me. It wasn't. So, when my second choice called and offered a position, I waited one more day, and took it. Two or three days later my first choice called and offered me the position I wanted. Too late! I'd already made a commitment to my second choice position.

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 11, 2007

Last year I asked for two days to discuss it with my family.

7. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Mar 11, 2007

I wouldn't want to hedge my bets that far, 'cause there are so many candidates for them to choose from. What's that old saying, a bird in the hand...Plus, I'm thinking you should have a good excuse like Jaime or, if I were the interviewer, I'd wonder why you were having the interview when you didn't seem that interested...

8. tinafirstgrade

tinafirstgrade Rookie

Mar 11, 2007

Thank you so much for your advice. It has helped me clarify what I need and should do. My thinking prior to reading your responses was to basically interview at a ton of different schools in a few different counties. That way I would cast a large net and be able to choose among many different offers. BUT now I realize that they will only give me a day or two to decide at the most. And also, I don't feel right accepting a job and turning it down later for a better one, even though it happens all the time.
    Therefore I guess it's really not worth my while to interview at places that I don't necessarily know that much about.
    First, I am taking the advice to really research schools and only apply to ones that I would be happy working at. I might even skip a whole county job fair if I'm not estatic about working there.
    This is where my worry comes in, if I don't try at my second choice county which happens to interview first and somehow don't get an offer at my first county?!!! Well I guess there's always other counties and options, right?

9. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Mar 11, 2007

Not everyone lives this way, but here's an idea that works for me. Imagine your ideal job with as much detail as possible: the classroom, your relationship with your colleagues, your pay, benefits, commute, work/home life balance, everything. Picture it as clearly as you can, and then say to yourself that you deserve that job and it is on it's way to you. Next, go to job fairs and ask questions to help you find out if the schools represented there have the qualities of your dream job. If so, and you're offered an interview, you're on the track to your dream. Otherwise, move on.

I think it's a wonderful opportunity to ask for and accept your heart's desire. good luck to you!

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 11, 2007

I wouldn't be so quick to eliminate my second choice. I think you should think of your choices as: definite, depends on the interview, and no thanks. Keep an open mind about the first two types, and don't waste your energy on the last.

You ARE sure that there's a glut of teachers who share your qualifications, right? If not, try everywhere!

11. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Mar 11, 2007

That is great advice! Long story, but I wouldn't apply in the district I'm in for two years because I thought I "knew" I didn't want to work there. But I just love it--they're so supportive and they really care about the kids. I really wish I had listened to others a long time before.