Multiple Intelligence Test

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SFSU_ALUM, Jul 19, 2010.

1. SFSU_ALUM

SFSU_ALUM Rookie

Jul 19, 2010

Hi Guys and Gals,

I was wondering if anyone had a good Multiple Intelligence test I can give to my students during the first week of school. Tried to search for one online but they all seemed to be for adults.

Will it be beneficial for me to know what type of learner my students are, or am I over analyzing how important M.I test are for middle school children? I was wanting to put their results in their files and cater some of their assignments towards their strengths.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2010

I have a couple saved on my computer--if you PM me, I'll send them to you.

4. kinderkc

kinderkc Companion

Jul 26, 2010

MrsC, could you share with me as well? My co-teacher and I are looking for the same! :)

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 26, 2010

6. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 27, 2010

Just went to a conference and this is one of the classes I took. VERY valuable to know! Tina Houser is the one who shared this information with us, and I don't know if she has it on her website. (not even sure of her website addy)

7. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2010

We went mad on the multiple inteeligence thing a few years back. Now looking at the latest research it is fake at best, even the guy who came up with it has admitted that he doessn't have any evidence to back it up.

8. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 27, 2010

But if you look at how people learn, there has to be some truth to it. Some of us are musically motivated, while others could care less! Some of us are word smart, while others could care less.
    The whole purpose of using the mutiple intellegences in the classroom is basically having a well balanced learning system in your room, that is going to spur the learning of everyone ~ not just those geared towards book smarts.

9. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2010

What annoys me about Multiple Intelligences is that they are supposed to be utilized in three different ways, and I only ever see them used one way.

1. (this is the only way I ever see them used) - You can use the intelligences you excel in to learn new material and to be assessed in the new material.

2. Doing activities in intelligences you are NOT good at can also help you learn new material because it takes you out of your comfort zone. So, I am NOT musical, but if I was asked to make a song about some new material I learned, I would probably never forget it because it is novel to me.

3. Practice with all the intelligences can improve your success in those areas. I am low in interpersonal, but being asked to work in groups to learn will not only help me learn, but help improve my interpersonal intelligences.

Because of these purposes, you should be trying to use all the intelligences in your classroom, so I am not sure that giving all the students a test will be that helpful.

10. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 27, 2010

Wow, that's news to me. Can you point me in the direction of this information out online somewhere?

11. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2010

I'll try and dig out the links.

12. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2010

Coffield, D., Mosely, D., Hall, K. & Ecclestone, E. (2004) Should we be using learning styles: what
    research has to say on practice (London, Learning and Skills Research Centre).
    Coffield, D., Mosely, D., Hall, K. & Ecclestone, E. (2005) A systematic and critical review of
    learning styles and
    White, J. (1998) Do Howard Gardner’s multiple intelligences add up? Perspectives on Education Policy,
    Institute of Education, London University.
    White, J. (2004) Howard Gardner: the myth of multiple intelligences. Presented at Institute of
    Education, University of London, 17 November 2004.

13. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

14. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

15. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 27, 2010

I use mine visually (as I am a visual learner). At the beginning of the year, the students fill out their test and then graph their results with colors (visual is blue, kinestetic is orange, etc.). They take their strongest 'intelligence' and make a nametag with their name in that color. They take their weakest intelligence and border the nametag in that color. There are only two colors on the nametag, but they can be creative with how they write the letters, the pictures they draw as the border (but only in one color). I use this information when putting together groups, doing random games, creating assignments, etc. Sometimes I'll put like-minded students together, sometimes I'll put opposites together. I suppose it would be interesting to give the test again at intervals throughout the year in case interests have changed.

16. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

17. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2010

We do ours a bit uniquely. We built it on one from a video game actually where the character is given really absurd situations and choose how they would respond. The response choices are all aligned to the various intelligences.

We, however, simplified it a ton. For middle school history we use only three categories. We have artistic, fact-based, and interpersonal. I see very little need to be beyond that. Kids at that stage don't always know what they like. Many will say they don't like music because they've never tried it. By clumping music with art it helps broaden that.

Our assignments are all broken down by intelligence already if you'd like to see them. The list is here: http://mrroughton.com/assignments2.aspx

Students are never told "You're results showed artist so you have to do artist assignments." but it is a good starting point for them. I let them choose assignments and without a guide they often don't know where to begin. That, to me, is the real benefit of M.I.

18. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2010

I use a couple of different surveys at the beginning of each year as a way for me to get to know my students and for them to get to know themselves (and me) a bit better. We talk about strengths and weaknesses and implications (e.g. My Visual/Spatial and Logical/Mathematical scores are low. Does that mean that I never need to do tasks that involve those skills or that I can't do them well? No--it just means that I need to work harder at them.) For me, and my students, it's just one more piece of information.

19. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2010

If you PM me your email address, I'll be happy to send you what I have.

20. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 27, 2010

Even if it's not proven, can it really hurt to differentiate activities? I figure if I present something in three different ways, kids should at least take to one. And it's more fun to teach! :)

21. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 2, 2010

I took awhile to read some of the material on here. I'm confused about what's a learning style vs. what's an intelligence. If I use songs to memorize things, am I Musically Intelligent or do I have a musical learning style?