Multiple Grade Contained Classrooms

Discussion in 'Multiage' started by *Schoolmarm*, May 25, 2015.

1. *Schoolmarm*

*Schoolmarm* Rookie

May 25, 2015

I teach 1st and 2nd grades this year. I've never taught a straight grade and probably won't if I stay in the school I'm in. When I look for other multiple grade teachers online or resources for them, I can't seem to find much. Are there other teachers here to network with or share resources?

There must be some sort of instructions to running the three ring circus somewhere!

3. misswteaches

misswteaches Companion

May 25, 2015

I am a newbie teacher and my first-year job is going to be in a 1st-2nd grade room either. I don't know that I can offer a lot of help/resources since I am just starting out, but if I think of anything I will let you know!
    Thanks for starting this thread!

4. *Schoolmarm*

*Schoolmarm* Rookie

Jul 5, 2015

Hey there, misswteaches! Let me know how it goes and if we can help each other in any way. I'm starting my 4th year in a combo class this fall. I've done 2/3, K/1, and 1/2 so far.

5. misswteaches

misswteaches Companion

Jul 5, 2015

Thanks!
    Right now I am trying to figure out how to do reading. I'm thinking of doing three groups: 1st, lower 2nd, and higher 2nd. And now I have to decide what I will do with each group....

6. *Schoolmarm*

*Schoolmarm* Rookie

Jul 5, 2015

Have you ever heard of the Daily Five? It's a great book that helps structure multiple levels of reading very easily. Keeps the kids engaged and quiet while you work with a group.

I used it last year and will be using it again this year.

7. misswteaches

misswteaches Companion

Jul 6, 2015

I have, and I love the sound of it but my school doesn't use it and I'm not sure if they would be okay with it -- they are classical education-based. It does sound like a perfect solution for multi-age classrooms, though.
    Hopefully I can discuss it with the principal this week. Will let you know what happens! :)

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2015

I would suggest ability grouping for reading instead of grade grouping. Do you have sets of guided reading books that you can use in small groups?