Multiple Disability classroom posting

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by ktmiller222, Jun 17, 2017.

1. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Jun 17, 2017

I posted this in job seekers and didn't get any responses. I added a few more questions. I'm hoping some people here can help me out.

I came across a posting for a Special education position in a multiple disability classroom (re-posted from a month ago). I'm not too familiar with that type of classroom but from what I read online it seems more of severe/profound disabilities (physical/mental). My experiences are with behavior disability and some learning disability. From working in schools, I'm aware of students who are in life skills and how they use more functional activities and I assume that this would be the case in this type of classroom. I'm sort of interested in applying even though I lack the experience. Anyone have any knowledge of this classroom? What's it like? What would they ask in the interview? Would they even consider someone with special ed background (behavior disability) but not in a multiple disability classroom? How could it benefit me? I don't know what to do. It's in a really awesome/huge district so I believe there would be a lot of help with setting up the classroom, etc.
    Any help would be awesome!!!

3. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Jun 17, 2017

In my state, there are 2 spec ed certifications: learning & behavior disorders (LBD) and moderate/severe disorders (MSD/FMD). You have to have an MSD certification to teach in that classroom. If this isn't the case in your state, I would reach out to an MSD teacher or observe if possible before deciding. There's a huge difference between these kiddos and (depending on grade level), a lot to be learned about communication systems, scaffolding instruction appropriately, work systems, severe behaviors, etc.

If you're interested, go for it! It definitely takes a certain type of person to teach those classes

4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 18, 2017

Yes, they will consider you, as long as you have the proper certifications. It's hard enough to find a good sped teacher for mild disabilities. It's much more difficult to find someone good who is willing to teach students with moderate to severe disabilities. If you have any sped experience at all, have the certifications, and are willing and able to do the job, they'll want to consider you.

Also, I wouldn't be so sure that it's classroom serving only those with the most severe disabilities. Multiple disabilities could mean many things... Remember that disabilities can vary across a spectrum. You may have students with autism, learning disabilities, intellectual disabilities, etc. Perhaps by calling it a multiple disability classroom it simply means that you would be teaching students with a variety of disabilities, some more severe than others. I once had a classroom where some of my students had such severe disabilities that they spent nearly the entire day in my classroom and other students who only came to see me for 30 minutes per day. It was a technically considered a resource classroom, but it was really a cross-over of the resource and low-incidence classrooms. Calling it a multiple disability classroom, in my opinion, would have been an accurate way to describe it. If this position does turn out to be a classroom for students with more severe disabilities, it could look many different ways, depending on how severe the students' disabilities are... The classroom would likely be more self-contained than you've worked with in the past. You're also very likely to work closely with many paras, SLPs, OTs, and PTs, in addition to working with classroom teachers to include your students in gen ed when possible. Be prepared for questions on how you communicate and collaborate with others.

I'd at least apply for the position, if I were you. If they offer an interview, go on it and ask questions so that you have a better understanding of what the position entails. Then decide if it is something you're interested in pursuing further.