multipication activities for fourth grade

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by sjcgirl07, Apr 22, 2006.

1. sjcgirl07

sjcgirl07 Companion

Apr 22, 2006

ok..so i am interning in a fourth grade classroom and the kids are have alot of difficultys with learning and remembering their multipication facts. This is causing lots of problems because they are learning division and there are a few students who can't do division because they haven't mastered their multipication. Does anyone have any activities that are good to use with fourth graders on multipication and learning facts other then just using flash cards.

3. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Apr 22, 2006

Rays, skip counting, stories, flash cards, timed test (we give one everyday for one minute), games, practice, practice and practice.

Post one fact on the door at their eye level. Change the fact each day. Each student says the fact and answer to you as they leave for recess, lunch and whenever leaving the room.

4. Julie

Julie Rookie

Apr 22, 2006

you can even rename the kids by giving them a nametag of a multi fact. For example, we now call John 7x4=28. You can even give yourself one.

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Apr 22, 2006

I don't have any new tips to offer, but for students having difficulty in long division because of multiplication facts, I have them use a multiplication chart while doing the division.

6. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Apr 22, 2006

I work with fourth graders who have a hard time with this too. It's frustrating because in my state general multiplication tables is a third grade objective!

Mad Minutes are the tests that you give for a minute to improve their speed. I suggest doing multiplication drills daily. Then I would have each student take a test for each set of multiplication problems. They could do one a day. Let them work at their own pace but they MUST know them within a certain time! I taught with a third grade teacher who thought if her kids could say them fast, they knew them. (eg. 6 x 1 = 6, 6 x 2 = 12, etc.) WRONG! I would ask them 6 X 4 and they would have to go through the entire list before they knew the answer. Multiplication is so important! It makes life sooooo much easier if they know their times tables. I'm so thankful I had a strict third grade teacher who would drill us day after day and if you didn't say it before she snapped her fingers you got it wrong!

7. sjcgirl07

sjcgirl07 Companion

Apr 22, 2006

does anyone have any activities that may not be drills or flashcards...i feel like that it doesn't help them.

8. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Apr 22, 2006

Look in the collections.doc and you will find several games, that I sent you. Petunia

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 23, 2006

For a somewhat different perspective, visit http://www.jumptutoring.org. Sometimes kids pick up the times tables more easily when they see some uses for them.