Multicultural Read Aloud Lesson Plan Ideas for a Potential Kindergarten Job Needed

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Maithal, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Jul 25, 2012

I had an interview at a multicultural magnet school on Monday for a kindergarten position that I thought went well. About an hour after I get home, I get a call from them saying they want me to come in next Tuesday to teach a lesson. Here's what they told me:

Do a 1/2 hour whole class literacy lesson, a read aloud with a multicultural theme and include opportunities for students to interact with one another.

This class will be a preschool class that will enter kindergarten in the fall. I can't think of what objective to do and how to make it interactive.

I was thinking of using one of the 2 books (and getting them as big books) -

The Color of Us or We are All Alike, We are All Different (by a kindergarten class). If I do We are All Alike, We are All Different I'd have kids share with someone next to them how many siblings they have or share with their partner , but I'm not sure what to do really.

If you have a different book that you think would be better, please let me know. I could use any and all suggestions. I really want this job.

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 26, 2012

Can I just say I have never heard of a multicultural magnet school-I just love the idea of that!

I do like the idea of them doing the think/pair/share-they love that too. Just practice it with them first (if it's not something they do often)-like maybe before the lesson part officially starts-in a minute I'm going to ask you to turn to your partner.....this is how it will look.

My thought also was maybe you could use photos as well to introduce it. I love MSNBC's This Week in Pictures column. They have pics from around the world and many are often children. You could hold up a pic from kids playing in Alaska or Africa and have them discuss the similarities/differences between those kids and themselves-that would go along with your book as well and would cover "making connections to text with their own experiences".

Good luck!

4. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Jul 26, 2012

This book just popped into my head: Too Many Tamales.

5. time out

time out Comrade

Jul 26, 2012

You could also try Yoko by Rosemary Wells. It's about a little cat who loves sushi but doesn't want to bring it to school anymore for lunch when the other students tease her. It has a great message and is a terrific read-aloud for K.

6. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Jul 27, 2012

I thought about Yoko but I don't want to just focus on food as being the aspect of the culture. Here's what I decided, but I need some tweaking on the lesson.

I'm going to come dressed up in Indian clothes (from my culture). I will ask the kids, "Do you notice something about me." or "Tell me something different about what I'm wearing." "Why might I be wearing this?" I'll then explain that my family is from India (show it on a map).

I wll say: "Today we will read a book about different kids from around the world. You will then draw 2 things about your life and that make up who you are. You will then share your picture with a partner and you and your partner will tell 1 thing that is the same about you and your family and one thing that is different."
    (Objective - Draw 2 things about your family and life and then come up with 1 similiarity and difference amont you and your partner).

-Read story
    -After reading - Ask, "What did you learn about. What are some things that were the same and different about each of the children in the story?" (create a list such as - where you live, what you like to do, your clothing, people in your family)

-Then explain that "I will give each of you a piece of paper where you will draw 2 things about your family and how you live.
    (I will show a premade picture that I drew of my family, an Indian bread I like to eat, and my house). "This makes up who I am. This is part of my culture."

-Kids will draw their pictures and then come back to the group and share someone next to them, their picture. Then they will find out 1 thing thats the same about them and their partner and 1 thing that's different from them and their partner). I will model how to do this.

-Call on 2 pairs to share 1 thing thats the same and 1 thing that's different about each other.

-Closure - "Ask, what did you learn today?" (that people in diff. parts of the world do diff. things, to share things about who we are and tell 1 thing same and diff. from our partner and their life).

I'm trying to find a song to end with.

What do you think?

7. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Jul 28, 2012

What if after reading Whoever You Are by Mem Fox, we play a movement game, where we talk about similarities and differences among each other? (or now that I think about I could read We are All Alike, We are All Different by a Kindergarten Class)

If you don't know the first book, click link http://www.amazon.com/Whoever-You-Are-Mem-Fox/dp/0152007873 to search inside it

The mission statement it says one way to accomplish their mission statement is,

The Magnet School community is committed to respecting cultural diversity, empowering all learners, and developing compassionate people who take responsibility for making positive changes in society.

One way they accomplish this mission is by: "Fostering the appreciation of human similarities and differences.

So for the game, all students stand up and I say things like,

"Touch your nose if you live in an house and touch your head if you live in an apartment."

"Touch your toes if you speak a different language at home other than English and touch your knees if by speak only English." (of couse while reading the story, I'd talk about different languages people may speak)

I realized my state is focusing heavily on Common Core State Standards so I want to include that as part of my objective.

So, I could do this

CC.K.SL.1
    Participate in collaborative conversations with diverse partners about kindergarten topics and texts with peers and adults in small and larger groups.

But I also want to touch upon understanding differences and similiarities among each other.

Does this relate to multiculturalism? I'm getting scared as the lesson is on Tuesday morning.

Ahhhh!