Multi-Age K-2

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MsDeb, Jul 14, 2007.

1. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Jul 14, 2007

Hi All,
    I'm trying to land an interview for a position in a multi-age k-2 class. All I know is that there is a team of 3 teachers working together with the 3 grade levels. I'm not familiar with this type of situation.....Can anyone give me any talking points relevant to this type of classroom so I can WOW the principal? I'm thinking the obvious: cooperative learning activities, peer tutoring/instruction, reading buddies......Anything else?
    It sounds like a great opportunity and I love the idea of working with a "team"!
    Thanks!!

MsSub

3. Ms.P

Ms.P Rookie

Jul 14, 2007

I have experience with a 4/5 multiage. I'm not sure how the one you are interviewing for works, but with mine the students are with the teachers for 2 years. They start with one teacher and have that teacher for 2nd and 3rd grade and then get a new teacher for 4th and have that teacher for 4th and 5th grade. The group of students stay the same. One positive that I noticed with this is that the relationships between students and teachers really has a chance to develop - the teacher develops an individual relationship with each student and can better reach all students. Another benefit to the multiage I was a part of was that the second year that the students are with the teacher, there is hardly anytime spent at the beginning of the year for rules and expectations - the students are already aware of these from the previous year so they can jump right into learning.

I don't know if the two multiage programs are at all similar but I hope this helps a little!

4. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2007

amykpeck, I had the same kids for two years but we called it looping. I thought multiage classroom was when the teacher had some students from different grade levels in one class. I've always struggled with that concept, so hopefully someone will be able to clarify.

5. 1stYearTeacher

1stYearTeacher Companion

Jul 15, 2007

Multiage classrooms do have students from different grade levels. An example of why the teacher often teaches them two+ years in a row is they may enter the multiage class as 2nd graders and then the next year they are 3rd graders. They would still be in the same "class" because this teacher teachers a combined class of 2nd and 3rd graders.

Does this explanation help?

6. Ms.P

Ms.P Rookie

Jul 15, 2007

I think the multiage that I was a part of was a combination of looping also. It was the same group of students but it was two different grades. I think in my area, they use the two terms, "multiage" and "looping" almost interchangibly. 1styearteacher's explanation is exactly what I was trying to describe. Sorry if mine was unclear.