Multi-age Check In (8/14)

Discussion in 'Multiage' started by teacherpippi, Aug 14, 2009.

1. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Aug 14, 2009

What are you teaching this year? How long have you been teaching multi-age? Any questions, concerns or great ideas? Let's check in!

This will be my second year of teaching 1/2. I have previously taught 2-5 (3 years) and a year of straight second grade.

I'm looking forward to doing Daily5/CAFE again. I think it works beautifully (especially in a mutli-age room). The thing I am most concerned about is taking maternity leave. I've got a great group of 2nd graders who know how things work, but you always still worry!

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 26, 2009

I'm teaching a very interesting mix of kids! I had a 1/2 class last year and I ended up with 7 of my same kids, who will be mostly second grade now, and 1 third grade now. I am getting several kids who will be third graders and a few more second graders and ALSO two first graders who are apparently both very advanced.

So I have a 1/2/3 this year! I have taught all those grades before, but not in this combination. I have taught 2/3/4, 3/4 and 1/2. So this is all new to me!!

I also do the daily 5 and LOVE it for my group, though I only do 3 of the five. This year I am adding "write about reading" which is not on the daily 5 at all, but I want them to do reading response journals.

I have a question.... all my kids could read for about 30 minutes or even longer by the end of the year. My two first graders are already avid readers (the kids who hole up and read and can't stop) and I am assuming my third graders can read. Should I still start out with the thing where they are timed and everything for a couple of minutes and build up?

I guess I should re-read the book!

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 26, 2009

I asked about your grade/age levels on your postcard thread, so now I know, MissFroggy. Hope you have a good year.

5. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Aug 26, 2009

I'd do the intro lessons to D5 again and see how long they can do- they'll probably be ready to longer more quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if you're up and running with things significantly sooner. It will be a good review for the other kids and give a chance for them to be reminded of anything they've "forgotten" over the summer.

6. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jul 19, 2011

Wow MissFroggy thats a very interesting mix of ages... its it a traditional public school?

I teach prek/k... going into my second year and completed my summer intensive of montessori training. So i'm feeling a lot more confident and hoping that i can pull everything together!

7. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2011

I will be teaching a 1/2 for the first time next year. I am taking all the second graders on from my first grade class last year. I have taught first for 6 years. I am planning on implementing Daily Five next year in the 1/2.

8. GAteacher87

GAteacher87 Companion

Jul 23, 2011

I'll be teaching 6th, 7th, and 8th graders this year. This is my first year teaching and it's with multiple age levels. I'm actually REALLY looking forward to it because I'll get to be around all different middle school age groups. :)

9. teacherCA

teacherCA Rookie

Jul 31, 2011

I will be teaching a 4/5 again this year. I already know most of my 5th graders as I am looping up with some of my kids.
    I really like teaching the combo class and am looking forward to another great year!
    :)
    Anyone out there teaching a 4/5?