Mulitplication Games.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Nichole, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Nichole

Nichole Rookie

Jul 2, 2004

Multiplication Games.

I am currently putting together a box of multiplication games for my students to play. Does anyone have any suggestions of games I can include? So far, I only have Multiplication War and Concentration. Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2004
  3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2004

Do you know 'Circles and Stars'? All you need is one dice (die) and paper/pencil. The first player rolls the die. The number showing is the number of circles to draw. The player rolls again. The number now indicates how many stars to draw in each circle. The second player does the same. For each drawing the players write the appropriate multiplication equation- teach that the 'x' symbol stands for 'groups of' so for a first roll of 3 and a second roll of 4, the player would draw 3 circles with 4 stars in each circle. The equation would be 3 x 4 = 12 since the picture shows 3 groups of 4. The products of the two players are compared for the first drawings- whoever has the greater product gets a point. Play for a given number of rounds (we usually fold the paper in quarters so we can play 8 rounds, front and back) Who ever has the most points wins. I guess you could play with 2 dice so you could practice for up to the 12 x table, we play with one dice which gives my second graders enough experience to start becoming familiar with products through the 6 x table. Hope this makes sense!! :angel:

4. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Jul 2, 2004

Circles and Stars is in Marilyn Burns' Teaching Mathematics K-8. :)

5. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 3, 2004

I did this with addition/subtraction, but you can modify it for multiplication...

for addition/subraction, I have them number 0-12 on paper. Roll two dice. Add them or subtract them (your choice), but mark off the total that you choose on your paper. (If you roll a 4 and a 3, for instance, you could mark off either 7 or 1, but not both) Opponent does the same. Alternate turns... the first person to mark off all their numbers wins. You can also do this while tallying the rolls that score you nothing (you already have both the sum and the product), it makes an interesting comparison!

For multiplication, I guess you'd number all the products up to 36... again, you could use more dice and do to higher numbers. :)

6. cherryvoliva

cherryvoliva Rookie

Jul 10, 2004

It's not a novel idea, but my students LOVE around the world multiplication and simple team relay games (where I divide the students into 2 teams--which stand in 2 lines facing me--they go against each other and I show a flash card and give points to whoever said the answer first. It's nothing fancy, but the kids LOVE it!! We even did this with another class--my class against theirs--that was VERY popular and the kids actually looked forward to "contest day"!!)

7. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 11, 2004

Use grid paper --helps keep numbers in order. Roll two dice and add the sum. Put the largest number on top and subtract. Draw smiley faces on large lima beans (with pernmanent marker and coat with clear finger nail polish) or use plain. Turn six cups upside down, put different numbers of beans under the cups. Pick different cups and see how many problems you can make and add. Make a graph using the answers. Or make long column problems. hhtp://www.eduplace.com/math/mathcentral/gradeK/kuca2.html At this site you will find "Race to the Top" Copy the free game board. Students add two numbers with sums up to 10 in order to be first to the top of the mountain. Make Bingo and Tic-Tac-Toe games. Petunia in Kansas

8. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 11, 2004

Multiplication Top-It

This is a game that goes along with my math program, but you could surely use it. You will need cards numbered 0-12 (four of each number). We are given the cards, but you could make them using note cards. Put all of the cards in one pile face down. Player 1 draws two cards and multiplies them together. Player 2 also draws two cards and multiplies those together. The player with the highest product wins and gets to keep both sets of cards. The winning player sets those off to the side and plays again until all cards are used. The player with the most cards at the end of the game wins. :)

9. movingteacher

movingteacher Rookie

Jul 12, 2004

Krypto!

Have you tried Krypto? It's not exactly just multiplication, but it does use multiplication. It's a card game that has 52 cards in the deck, like a regular deck of cards. The idea of the game is to use the four basic operations to manipulate 5 cards to equal the target card. The game starts by someone dealing five cards plus one target card. Use all five cards (in any order) with the operations to get the value of the target card. Students yell Krypto! when they think they have it. I saw this at the NCTM conference in April. There are a lot of ways you can vary it too. I haven't had a chance to try it in the classroom yet but other teachers there said they had found it really useful/fun for students. There's a website you can check out if you're interested. You can buy cards from the website or make your own. http://www.mphgames.com/krypto/krypto.htm Hope this gives you another option.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 12, 2004

That sounds somewhat like the game 24. In that game each card has numbers which must be combined in any way to equal 24. It is not easy but is great fun.

11. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort