msnbc article about budget cuts and class sizes

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MsMar, Jul 26, 2009.

1. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 26, 2009

This article talks about larger class sizes caused due to budget cuts in various districts across the US.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32156424/ns/us_news-education//

Do any of you know if you'll have a larger class next year? I don't have my roster at all yet so I really can't say. We did go down by one member in my department due to a retiree not being replaced, but we're also anticipating fewer students due to students taking less electives starting with this school year.

3. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Jul 26, 2009

I haven't seen my roster yet either, but our principal said she's trying to keep our numbers as small as possible. I guessing I'll have at the MOST 23. Although, I do work in a charter school and we only accept applications for as many students as we know we can handle.

4. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 26, 2009

I had 21 last year. We lost a 4th grade teacher due to increased class sizes. As of Thursday, I had 24, but that could go as high as 26.

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 26, 2009

Interesting - I knew teachers were getting laid off but really didn't think about the repercussions on class sizes.

We were warned in about April that we were going to have big classes this year. How big, I don't know yet-I wouldn't be surprised to have 25-which is a lot of 5-year olds. I like how the article says some dispute that smaller class size is better-I would bet they are not teachers. I do think it makes a big difference even just for setting up the classroom. We had very large classes in 4th Grade last year and I remember one of the teachers begging for furniture because she had kids sitting at her desk-nowhere else to put them. We do small group instruction in elementary, more kids per group, less individual instruction. More students are harder to manage classroom management-wise as well.

6. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 26, 2009

"All the research suggests the number of kids is much less important than who is teaching the class," said Hanushek, a senior fellow at Stanford University's Hoover Institution. "In the face of budget problems, allowing class size to move a little bit makes all the sense in the world."

That person has OBVIOUSLY never been in an elementary classroom! I agree that an effective teacher is HUGELY important. However, even an effective teacher cannot work miracles in an overcrowded environment. :2cents:

7. carlea

carlea Comrade

Jul 26, 2009

Since I had 36 fourth graders last year, I can't imagine the class size getting bigger!! My principal is hoping to keep classes to about 30 this year.... we'll see what happens.

8. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 26, 2009

I can't imagine 30, much less 36. I'm glad I can't have any more than 26...and I think that's to many.

9. teach2read10

teach2read10 Companion

Jul 26, 2009

Class size

I'm afraid that shrinking budgets mean we are all going to have larger class sizes sooner or later. We were warned to expect 5 to 8 more students this year.

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 26, 2009

I'm so blessed. I have 5 kinder kids. Of course I couldn't deal with a large class since I will spend half of my day tapping kids, flipping lights, etc to get them to LOOK AT ME. Nah, I will plan plenty of things where they don't have to look at me, but you get the point. It takes a while to teach them this and if they look away, I can't just talk to them. Even so, I've very blessed with a small class. :)

11. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 26, 2009

I got a sneak peek at a sticky note that said 20 for my class so far. Our class cap is supposed to be 23. I am sure I will have @ least that many. I just hope I don't have as many as I had textbooks for....

46!!!!!!!! (They put double the # of textbooks in my classroom)

12. traveler

traveler Comrade

Jul 26, 2009

We were told to expect bigger classes but I won't know for sure until a couple of days before school. We never get our class lists until then.

13. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 26, 2009

My class is slightly larger than the other five years (23, and may go up to 25), but it is not due to budget cuts. It is because I am the advanced teacher and fourth grade is HUGE. But here's my history-

Year 1- 18
    Year 2- 14
    Year 3- 21
    Year 4- 20
    Year 5- 21
    Year 6- 23

14. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 26, 2009

Depends on how many students (s)he is referring to. 25 is workable. 35 is insane. Carlea, I could never imagine having that many students, though when I was in elementary school, my classes had at least 30, maybe 34 at the most.

15. carlea

carlea Comrade

Jul 26, 2009

It actually wasn't too bad - I had a wonderful class!! But 30 would be heaven! I couldn't imagine having an upper grade class with less. Even when I taught kinder I was up to 23 (we had a full day program)!

16. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2009

Our contracts caps at 32. I have 26 on my roster. We always make sure to keep extra desks in the room with extra sets of books "just in case" we're in the middle of something and a child transfers in. I've never understood why some kids join their new school at 11am. Not a great way to make a first impression parents! I have not had 32 in a class since 2003. It was horrid! Too many little people needing one teacher's attention.

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2009

Yep. I'm pretty upset about it. I'll start the year with six more than I had last year. Class size makes a huge difference in the overall atmosphere. :(

18. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Jul 26, 2009

All our high school classes will be larger this coming year.... most at about 30. Some will be slightly over 30. The only exception is our PE classes, which will actually have some classes well over 30.

It'll be...... interesting.

19. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2009

I doubt it. I teach 6th and it would take a miracle (as well as a building expansion) for them to hire more teachers. Since we team teach they can't hire just one, they would have to hire three. I expect my classes to be around 30-32.

20. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Jul 27, 2009

I don't get my roster til September, but we were warned classes will be maxed out. They cut back over 10 classes so i'm interested to see what happens. Our contract says no more than 34 can be in a room.

21. Jen in NCal

Jen in NCal Rookie

Jul 27, 2009

Our district raised k-3 to 31from 20, 4-5 is at 34. Contractually, they can't go any higher. We have protected funding that will keep my school at 20 k-3 and 25 4-5.

22. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2009

The quote is right though. A class of 35 kids with an excellent teacher is going to perform better than a class of 20 with a terrible one.

Back to the topic, I was at max per class last year (35) and I see no reason why I wouldn't be this year. In fact, I'm going to request my classes be filled day 1 because if they aren't then I know they will be and darn it I hate getting kids who don't know my program.

23. ohyougirl

ohyougirl Rookie

Jul 27, 2009

I had on average 26 5th graders in each of my 4 classes 2 years ago and, really, the biggest problem I had is that my classroom simply isn't large enough to accomodate them all (especially when doing a lab). Cramming that many kids in there was the biggest challenge and the source of all my frustrations that year.

Last year, we had 18-20 in each class. This year, we're up to 22.

I am the team leader and always snag the biggest class in my grade, if possible. I hate being the "revolving door."