MS in Applied School Leadership

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Sarge, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2015

I'm starting an admin credential in the fall.

However, if I go for another 6 months (12 Saturdays) plus an equal amount of online work, (and of course, write a few rather large checks) I can get a Master of Science in Applied School Leadership.

If my goal is to be a site administrator (dream job: K-8 Vice Principal), would it be worth it?

I do not currently have a master's, and I've noticed a few admin jobs that say "master's required" in addition to the admin credential.

Another thing. "Applied School Leadership" vs. "Educational Administration." Would they be regarded that differently?

3. Banana0

Banana0 Rookie

Jul 8, 2015

I can't answer your last question regarding the specific degree, but I know my site has a changing pay scale based on a masters in admin rather than just a credential. I'm 99% sure they don't hire admin without a masters.

4. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jul 8, 2015

In AZ, you can't get an admin position without a masters. I have my masters in educational leadership and a principal certificate through the state. I'd go for the masters.

5. kaitydid

kaitydid Rookie

Jul 9, 2015

I can't help you with the last question, but I would go for the master's. All of the job openings for admin positions in my area have stated they require at least a master's.

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 9, 2015

In Texas you have to have an M.Ed and an admin certification. It doesn't matter what specifically the M.Ed is in... so educational leadership, applied school leadership, educational technology, teaching... I've know principals with all of those. The difference is that the ed leadership classes build in required classes for the admin certification. The ones with an M.Ed in something else have sometimes had to take a few additional classes to qualify to take the admin certification test.

7. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jul 12, 2015

I'd go for both the cred and master's. I can't say if one masters would be looked at differently than another.