MRI

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by fantasticfirst, Oct 23, 2010.

1. fantasticfirst

fantasticfirst Rookie

Oct 23, 2010

I am going in Monday for an MRI of my knee, and I am very nervous. I've had several people tell me that MRIs aren't that bad. I really would like to believe that, but I can't shake the nerves. I know my head won't be going in, but my chest will, and that part gets to me. I have a history of panic attacks and asthma, so I like lots of space around my chest so I can breathe.
    I'm also scared for the results and what impact they will have on my life. I'm trying not to play a game of "what ifs" with myself, but it is really hard. I can't picture how I would teach if I had to sit all of the time or if I was on crutches.
    Does anyone have an advice?

3. girlblue16

girlblue16 Rookie

Oct 23, 2010

Usually they ask you if you're claustrophobic...and then maybe they'll give you something to sedate you.

I had one last year (for my head!!!!) and it wasn't too bad. They gave me music to listen to and I was fine. It honestly looks worse than it actually is.

But...since you do have a history of panic attacks, I think you need to let your doctor know this before hand.

Good luck to you!

4. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 24, 2010

Don't worry, they are not that bad. I am hypersensitive to sound and they are not that bad. They put noise cancelling headphones on

Here is my trick: close your eyes, and picture the noise making music. When it changes its tone, imagine something else, like a war movie or something :p

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2010

I had one on my breast 2 years ago before the mastectomy.

It was really, really, no big deal.

The thing that surprised me was that it was LOUD. Not scary loud, but surprising. It sounded like a big old machine that was clanking and breaking instead of something high tech.

Realistically, it's just like an Xray. They gave me a panic button in case it got bad, but I could have stayed in there all day long. (Then again, I have 3 kids--a little noise isn't going to do it for me.)

Also, know that there IS lots of room in there. They don't want you to move, of course, but it's not like the machine is pressed up against you. I don't know how close is "too close" for you, but there was lots of room.

I agree though, let them know of your issues. You won't be the first patient they've had with a similar history, they'll know what to do.

As to the results, there's an old Irish saying: "Don't borrow trouble." Worrying won't change anything, so try very hard to put it out of your mind.

Easier said than done, of course. I cried rivers at the thought of my kids growing up without a mom. And they accomplished nothing. Yet I cried anyway.

With technology being as advanced as it is, I would imagine that you wouldn't end up on crutches long term. And, even if you did, you would find a way to cope. Lots and lots of people teach, facing huge physical challenges.

Best wishes!

6. Ross

Ross Comrade

Oct 24, 2010

You can buy the foam ear plugs at drug store plus they will give you a headset so you can listen to music. The noises coming from that machine are remarkable!

Your family doctor can also prescribe a one time allotment of medicine to help with anxiety.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 24, 2010

Can you ask to get an open MRI? I had one on my knee and only my knee was in the machine. It was still loud and uncomfortable but I got to read some magazines.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2010

Lauren has had 2 in the past 4 or 5 months and she didn't have any problems (except that her ear plugs fell out and it was loud!). One of my good friends needs to take a mild sedative because she had a mild panic attack the first time she had one.

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 24, 2010

I agree with the advice given about the MRI. I have some advice if you end up needing treatment and are off your feet for a while. I am finally going back to work Mon after being out for foot surgery. I have been out for a few weeks and I have several months to go before I can begin putting pressure on the foot. You would be surprised at the unique ways you can find to get around and get things done. I can do everything I need to do...it just takes longer. The forced rest has also been wonderful. so, plan on making lemonade with those lemons and if you need treatment, look forward to being healed.

10. fantasticfirst

fantasticfirst Rookie

Oct 24, 2010

Thanks everyone! I do have something to take before I go. Do they usually let you hear what the noise is like before it starts? From what I understand you move slowly into the machine, is that true for a knee MRI?

11. Major

Major Connoisseur

Oct 24, 2010

I've always had a Dont Fence Me In attitude.... I've had several MRI's and didn't like any of them....:)

12. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Oct 24, 2010

I had a few MRIs on my knee too and it was slow moving into it, not terribly slow though I got into the music so it was a big distraction and I was very tired which was great. Not too bad. Good luck! Be thinking of you! You can do it!

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 24, 2010

I've had quite a few MRIs - one even on my head which was strapped down! The noise was so weird it was comical the first time. If I could've moved around, I would've been hysterical. My strategy is to close my eyes and try and doze off. It works well. Also, if you get cold easily, tell the technician or nurse and see if you can be covered.

I'd rather have a MRI than many other procedures (some of which I am putting off .....)

14. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 24, 2010

No matter where the MRI is for, they move the whole of you in the machine.

Just so you know, not all hospitals have music in the headphones. They DO communicate through them though (I have had... 8 MRIs/MRAs in my life and none of the hospitals had music)

The sound is like clanking and churning.

Big pieces of metal hitting against each other.

At some points it sounds like gunfire from a movie.

MRIs last anywhere from 15 to 60 minutes (60 minute MRIs really suck)

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 24, 2010

They left my head poking out since I have claustrophobia. Mine hurt because of all the metal in my ankle. But if you have no metal in you, it won't hurt at all. My headphones had the radio playing, which helped since I was in there for three hours.

16. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Oct 24, 2010

When I had my MRI on my knee I was using a walker which I thought was aluminum but it was steel
    as you know when you first use a walker you watch the floor as you walk so you don't really look up in front of you so I missed the "no metal" sign well when I got near the machine, 12 feet, the machine grabed my walker and I ended on the floor and my walker inside the machine's donut hole. The M in MRI stands for Magnetic I learned the hard way :lol::lol::woot::woot:

After that the MRI was easy

17. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Oct 24, 2010

I can no longer have MRIs (too many metal bits in me) but I had several when I was younger. Close your eyes and try to zone out. It will be over before you know it! Good luck!

18. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 25, 2010

Oooh. Metal bits. How interesting.

I don't have any metal in me that I know of. Since I need MRIs every ones in a while just to check up on my brain (and I probably need one every couple of years for my heart)

19. fantasticfirst

fantasticfirst Rookie

Oct 25, 2010

I survived, but I never want to do that again!

20. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 25, 2010

Haha I know that feeling.

At least you didn't have to get dye injected?

21. fantasticfirst

fantasticfirst Rookie

Oct 25, 2010

No dye. It helped that I was listening to my normal radio station, so it felt like I had a friend talking to me.

22. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 26, 2010

Yeah, dye hurts a LOT.

MRIs don't seem that bad in comparison :p