MR student not being served

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by TeachtheWorld, Feb 19, 2004.

1. TeachtheWorld

TeachtheWorld Companion

Feb 19, 2004

I have a student who was diagnosed MR this summer. I teach at a very small campus (only around 50). He was the only child being served by our special ed. teacher at this campus. The school decided to keep her at the other campus where "she is needed more." I asked them about his services and they told me that they would have his speech therapist take care of it. She can only see him 30 min. and he was getting 60 min. from the SpEd. teacher. He is so behind. He disrupts class with animal noises and yelling out. During carpet time, he lays on the floor or even crawls around on his belly. While the sp ed. teacher saw him, this behavior lessened. Now that she's gone, it's gotten worse than before.
    I have expressed my feelings with my principal and she tells me what everyone else says: "The sp. ed. teacher is needed more at the other campus." It's so aggravating b/c I know that he could succeed with extra one-on-one help.

3. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Feb 19, 2004

para

At our school we hire paras that works under the guide lines of special ed teacher. The para works one on one with special problem children some times in the class room and some times as pull outs.

4. sandimreyes

sandimreyes Comrade

Feb 19, 2004

At our school, we have special ed teachers, but they still only see the children for part of the day. The rest of the day is inclusion in regular classroom. How severe is the child? We have a couple of children who have been diagnosed with very specific problems and have been granted individual paras...but this is rare. One child is a "flight risk" and another has "physical disabilities that must be monitored at all times".

I have a child in my room that is diagnosed Educably MR (versus trainably MR - which is lower). We also think he is autistic, but the paperwork was not filled out appropriately enough to support this. He is the sweetest child in the world, but he is a lot of work. He's out of the room for 2 hours each day, and in the room for the remainder. Basically, I have tried to get him to follow routine most of the time, but have also adopted some separate rules that apply only to him. I have explained to the kids that he learns differently and does not always understand what the right thing to do is. I've asked them to be grown-up helpers and to help him and to help ME by accepting that he sometimes needs to do different things. They are all pretty good about it.

I try to ignore as much of the behavior as I can. I try to figure out how much of the regular routine he can handle and I enforce the rules for those things (like sitting at a table during snack time). If the child is making too much noise for the others to focus, perhaps this is the one time of the day when you could allow him/her to do something else...like computer games, manipulatives, coloring, etc.

My student is working at a 3 year old developmental level, so I expect from him only what I'd expect from a class of 3 year olds.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2004

TeachThe World- I don't see how this child is getting what is due to hime under IDEA- A free and appropriate education in a least restrictive environment. There is federal legislation governing what is REQUIRED...How is your school getting by on 30 minutes of speec when he is probably entitled to special ed services? What do his parents say about what is happening? They should 'make some noise'!! As they say- it's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease.

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Feb 22, 2004

For the student to be in special education, an IEP meeting had to have been held. It should have stated what services the child was receiving. You should have attended and have a copy of the information. I suggest you review the information, document what he is doing and what services he is getting, and talk to his case manager- which sounds like the speech path. If you still don't see any changes, request an IEP meeting. Anyone can request one, parent, school, whomever. You should probably request a staffing before the IEP meeting, but if you don't see things getting better, request a meeting. Good Luck

7. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Feb 22, 2004

"under IDEA- A free and appropriate education in a least restrictive environment. There is federal legislation governing what is REQUIRED.." by czacza

You are absolutely right, its called PL 94-142 and if I were the kids parents I WOULD SUE SUE SUE..... If i were the teacher, I would also sue because the school KNOWINGLY is doing this.

8. TeachtheWorld

TeachtheWorld Companion

Feb 23, 2004

The parents of this child have similar problems as he does. They aren't being told what his rights are. I have tried to explain it to them, but they keep telling me "well, we trust the principal..."
    I have talked to the Speech path. and she agrees with me that this is wrong. Our school is being closed this year and we are moving to the other campus where the sp. ed. teacher is. I have been told by my principal that he would definitely receive services there. It's crazy around here. OUr kids and staff have always been treated as the step-children.