MP3 Players in the Classroom

Discussion in 'General Education' started by otterpop, Dec 30, 2014.

1. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Dec 30, 2014

I got a grant funded for mp3 players!

I am trying to figure out how to use them. The original way that I had thought to use them (audiobooks) is proving harder than I anticipated. They are great but cheap mp3 players - they are basically the click through each song type. There is not an easily navigable menu. If the player is turned off, it does not remember your spot, and it is not easy to find where you were. So, long chapter books are pretty much out, as it would be very difficult to find the middle of a chapter.

Does anyone have suggestions for what I can do with them? I have 7 of them. I want them to be able to be used often, but would like to be able to load a bunch of content on them at once so I don't have to change content often.

One thought that I have is putting a bunch of poetry on them, and then having binders or packets so the kids can follow along. Should I put some kind of activity with them, then?

Another suggestion that I read online was putting recorded tests on them. It might be a good way to do differentiated spelling lists?

I'm hoping you all can brainstorm with me. :thanks: I teach 4th grade.

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 30, 2014

I don't know what grade you teach, but I have my kids record their reading on them to work on fluency.