Moving up....

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by epatterson, Feb 24, 2007.

1. epatterson

epatterson Rookie

Feb 24, 2007

Well, for all my fellow teachers out there, I have decided to move grades again! I taught kindergarten for 2 years and enjoyed it but really didn't like how long it took to actually "teach" anything and wanted a little bit more independent kids. So, I moved up to 1st this year and have really enjoyed it. I have a tough class, but like it for the most part. My principal came to me the other day and asked if I would consider moving up - we are losing a 1st grade class next year because of a small kindergarten group coming up and a 2nd grade teacher just decided to retire. I thought and prayed about it and....decided to do it! I really like the independence of my kids now and really love being able to jump in and get started on the academics. Also, I have had issues with gossipy assistants who like to come in and do their own thing for a few years now, so I am looking forward to being on my own with my own kids! Just wanted to share - anyone ever done a similar move? Any advice??? :confused:

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 24, 2007

As long as you are excited about it, things will go wonderful. Are you keeping the same class? Do you have children in your class that you had in kindergarten? Wouldn't it be funny if you followed them to third the year after! Because yet again that small class is following behind you.

4. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Feb 24, 2007

You will love second grade.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 24, 2007

I have heard a lot of teachers who think they want to teach the very young ones but then decide that they would like a different environment - more independent students, etc. You will probably love it, as that is how you are feeling.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 24, 2007

I'm secondary, but have moved all over the 7-12 spectrum. I think it's a great experience; sometimes you end up liking a grade that you hadn't anticipated enjoying.

Plus, for what it's worth, your experience will be so much more varied should you even look to change jobs. Even if not, your principal knows he can depend on you to be flexible to help with changing demographics.

Good luck!!

7. epatterson

epatterson Rookie

Feb 24, 2007

When I moved from K to 1st, I took 6 of my students with me. I had a tough class that year and only let some of the parents know I was moving. :eek: My principal has said that she is going to let me see a proposed class list and look over it and make changes if there are students that I have taught before that were major issues. I would love to take my same 6 with me and I told her that!!! We are a primary school (pre-k to 2nd) so I will not be able to move with them to 3rd unless I wanted to change schools, but that would be funny! Thanks for all the advice. :love:

8. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Feb 24, 2007

I have taught kindergarten for the past 5 years and next year I was asked to move up to 5th grade!!!! I'm VERY nervous, but it should be an interesting new challenge (plus it will be my first year of kinders who will be in 5th next year!)