Moving to Title 1

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Learner4Life, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Aug 5, 2015

Hey Ladies and Gents!
    It's been a long time since I've even logged into AtoZ:(. I think I started to feel super comfortable in my comfy 5th grade position and I started a family and now have a 2 yr old. I've missed AtoZ quite a bit though and will probably need more help this year!
    Last year was really rough for me. I had the superintendent's daughter in my class and quite honestly, she was a huge brat that made the classroom dynamic catty and uncomfortable. I hated so much of my experience with this class that I jumped at the chance to become a Title 1 Teacher. Now, however, I'm 4 weeks away from school starting and have no idea how to prepare!!!! I was a Title 1 para in this same school so I know how the previous teacher ran things and how the general workings go. However, my schedule is still very much up in the air and my lovely superintendent still has not decided if I will have 1 aid or 2.
    To top off my difficulties, I broke my right ankle which means no driving and no spending time at school unless someone takes me out there (30 min drive). AND as of last week, my new room was being painted and all my stuff was out in the hallway.
    So my AtoZ experts, help me out. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

3. CatfaceMeowmers

CatfaceMeowmers Companion

Aug 5, 2015

Oh my, such an interesting start to your year! First off, welcome back and congrats! :)

I had to deal with the principals son in a class while I long term subbed and he was awful. You would think they would be great, but he was by far the rudest kid I've ever had. So I can relate.

I am also going to be a title I teacher :) I have about 3 weeks and I am zooming around trying to prepare, though I keep changing my plans.

And to top it off, your ankle. That sucks! How long will it take for your ankle to heal? Will you be able to drive by the time school starts?

Well...at least it'll have that new paint smell right?

4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 5, 2015

Congrats on your new position! Having been a title para you are already ahead of the game. Will you be pulling students right away? In the schools I've worked in, pull out services never start until the 3rd week of school or so, so I wouldn't panic about a schedule just yet. If you have specific intervention programs you're using, I would familiarize yourself with those and maybe think about how you're going to organize things. Maybe also think about how you want to set up routines, rules, classroom management, etc. One of the biggest mistakes I've seen intervention teachers make is to simply send kids back to their gen ed class when they misbehave. This sends the message that a) you're not a "real" teacher who can deal with behavior, and must send students back to a "real" teacher to deal with them, and b) if they don't want to do the work in your class, they can just act up and they'll get to leave. Definitely make sure you have a behavior management system of your own set up. Also think about how you will deal with adding new students to your caseload or taking students off of your caseload (if your school doesn't have a specific procedure in place). I know this can be a huge issue for our title teachers. Classroom teachers often want them to just immediately take any kid that is struggling and also tend to be hesitant about moving kids out of title, even if they're now on grade level.