Moving to Reg Ed -- when/how to tell?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by catlover, Mar 23, 2013.

1. catlover

catlover Rookie

Mar 23, 2013

Hi everyone! This is my second year teaching, and my first year at my present school. Both years, I have been working as a special education co-teacher, although I'm also certified in my content area.

I went into special education because I wanted to work with the students who have the greatest need. Some of the people who are close to me in my life have disabilities, and so I know the impact the people who work with those in need can make.

However, after working as a co-teacher for two years, I've decided that I can make a bigger impact if I work as a regular ed teacher. I would also enjoy it a lot more. I'm sure I would get the co-teach classes, and I would be great working with a sped co-teacher. Everyone on the regular ed team that I work with right now loves me and has been pulling for me to come on board, talking me up to administration, etc. It is a big high school, and there will doubtless be several openings in my content area at the end of the year. We already know of one teacher retiring, one moving, and some who plan on switching schools.

The question is, when and how should I tell my sped department chair that I want to move? One person told me I should have a conversation right away, but I feel like it would be awkward for the rest of the year. Someone else told me I should start dropping hints about loving certain aspects of my job and wishing I could spend more time on those. Except I see my chair so infrequently I can't think of how I would be able to say such things without it seeming phony and pretty obvious.

Just need some feedback and thoughts from you all! Thanks so much for any comments you feel like sharing. :):thanks:

Thanks!

3. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2013

I would wait and see if admin will let you move to regular ed and then politely explain the situation to your sped director. I wouldn't say anything unless you know for sure because you don't want to make things awkward or be perceived as not enjoying your job.

4. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Mar 23, 2013

My school already had our transfer period, so I would talk to someone soon. It would probably be administration and not your department chair. You don't want to wait too long and then lose the opportunity.

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Mar 23, 2013

Let someone know as soon as possible. When I got word that the HS Spec. Ed. teacher in my building was retiring, I went to my P about me moving from preschool up to the HS. I'm needing the change. I'm HQ'ed to teach it. It will also be neat to graduate some of my first preschoolers. Keeping my fingers crossed he will let me move.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 24, 2013

I would agree to let someone know as soon as possible. I'm also making the move from Special Ed next year, and let my principal know of my wishes early in February. We are told of our tentative teaching assignments for the fall by mid-March.

7. catlover

catlover Rookie

Mar 24, 2013

Thanks everyone!

We aren't allowed to put in transfer requests until we've passed our probationary hire period -- my understanding is I would have to actually apply and be interviewed.

I have expressed interest to the appropriate people in the department I want to move to, but haven't even hinted at the idea with the department I would be leaving.

I guess I feel sneaky telling some people at work and not mentioning it to others. I don't want to accidentally hurt anyone's feelings. The people in my current department are all really nice, and I think they were looking forward to keeping me on their team.

8. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Mar 24, 2013

Where I am at, once in SPED, it's hard to get out of SPED.

9. Mellz Bellz

Mellz Bellz Comrade

Mar 25, 2013

One of my coworkers is going through this now. She spoke it over with admin and then wrote formal letters to our Special ED director and Human Resources director stating her intentions for a general Ed position and explaining why she wanted to move. Our P wants to observe her and she'll have to interview and all that. Of course our P also said that being an inclusion coteacher she wasn't sure if she could "actually teach" but that is another story...

10. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 26, 2013

If you've told some people, I would plan to sit down with your current department. You don't want them to hear about your desire to move from your principal or another teacher.

11. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2013

Exactly.