Moving to Phoenix in 2016

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by comingtoamerica, Aug 29, 2015.

1. comingtoamerica

comingtoamerica Rookie

Aug 29, 2015

Hi Everyone,

I suppose it may be best to introduce myself and a bit of context in the first instance before clarifying exactly the kind of information and assistance I hope to get from this board. I see from the threads and replies that there are clearly a lot of like-minded, friendly folk so I offer my thanks in advance and hope to be of some assistance myself wherever possible - even if it's just encouragement!

My name is Moyra and I'm from Edinburgh, Scotland. Since graduating (BSc in Biology / Chemistry / Education) in 2003, I've worked in the same secondary school teaching Biology (with a few Chemistry classes consistently included where I've been able to help out) with a stint as interim head of department before we moved from departmental heads to curriculum principal teachers.

We first visited America shortly after graduating in 2003 and loved it. It has taken twelve years and eleven subsequent visits (mainly to Vegas!) for me to be convinced that we should move over permanently - something my boyfriend has always been keen on.

Having made that decision, we looked at Nevada in the first instance but the better weather in Arizona appealed. This summer, we took a 3-week road trip in Arizona and Utah to confirm our intention to move and absolutely loved the place, the houses and the weather. As such, we're now gearing up for moving over permanently, ideally for the start of the 2016/17 academic year.

That means overcoming the visa process and the employment process concurrently. My boyfriend (soon to be husband) is a Project and Human Resources Director so there's a proper plan in place (including a decision tree analysis and Gantt chart!) for all of that but I'm hoping to gain some specific insight into the academic structures, curriculum differences and working experiences as possible in America.

My intention is to apply primarily for Biology jobs in High Schools from mid-November as that's my preferred subject but, if that doesn't begin well, I'll look at Chemistry and Middle School Science also. If everything goes to plan, I'll try to schedule interviews for April when we're definitely next going to be back over where we'll also do a bit more house hunting.

Best of luck to anyone who is in something of a similar situation, looking for work.

Thanks,

Moyra

3. comingtoamerica

comingtoamerica Rookie

Aug 30, 2015

Afternoon All,

I have the first couple of what will likely be many and varied questions which I hope some of the teachers here can assist in clarifying.

Having identified all the High Schools in an acceptable travel radius from where we intend living, these number 141. However, there are a number of aspects that I would appreciate some guidance on if anyone can provide such.

There are 4 types of High School - Public, Public Charter, Charter and Private. Is there a clear distinction on what the differences are in these types of school. Here, we have public and private schools (the difference primarily being that one is free and one is fee-paying).

The other aspects that are pretty new are racial and religious. It may help clarify my status as wholly without religious or political affiliation.

In Scotland, we have a lot of Catholic schools which are almost exclusively staffed by Catholics (not a stated rule as that would be illegal but pretty widely understood). There seems to be a few religious variants (Lutheran and Adventist certainly) in the state - does anyone know if these should be scored off the list before I start applying or whether they care about the persuasions (or lack thereof) of their staff. There are also a couple of what appear to be exclusively Native American high schools. My very basic understanding (perhaps entirely erroneous) is that the Native Americans exclusively hire only Native American staff.

Any guidance hugely appreciated.

Thanks,

Moyra

4. burgandy01

burgandy01 Rookie

Sep 5, 2015

In my experience:
    --Public schools pay the best
    --Private schools have best working environment but pay is poor, and often times no benefits
    --Charters pay less than public but work you more=no unions

You don't necessarily have to be of the religious denomination to work at a school but of course it's preferred. I worked at a Jewish school and am not Jewish. I've known a non Native American that worked on a reservation---doesn't hurt to try.

5. ACinTexas

ACinTexas Rookie

Sep 6, 2015

Also one point, in the US it is the public schools that are free and the private schools that are for a fee.

Charter schools are also free to the students but offer an alternative to the public school system. They also tend to require longer hours each day.

Agreed that the public school districts will likely pay best.

6. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Sep 7, 2015

Public schools is your best bet. As a second year teacher, I have a decent pay (which will get better in time) with nice benefits. Anyone I know who works private say it's nice but the pay and benefits suck, and anyone I know who works charter hates it/quit for a better job.

I'd try any if you're trying to get a job, period. But yea, if you care for better pay and benefits, go for public. Or start lower and work towards getting hired at a public school in the future.