Moving to no study halls?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by dgpiaffeteach, Jan 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 1, 2012

Oh my. Very random, but The Joker's words come to mind here: "Why so serious?" :p

But, seriously. Why so serious? Goodness.

2. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 1, 2012

Sorry...just seeing the last two posts which I didn't read before responding. I see it's over now.

3. ybmiuq

ybmiuq Rookie

Feb 25, 2012

I don't know why study-hall is needed, but it seems like the only schools I know of that don't have them struggled and failed to make AYP.

4. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Feb 26, 2012

My school doesn't have them and we are one of the top 5 schools in our state.

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Feb 26, 2012

The high school in my district has study hall, monitored by aides. Teachers are awfully expensive to use for this.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 26, 2012

You know those professional days I hear about? The ones where you guys get a day to go in and just get caught up? In the fall, when you can decorate your classrooms, or before the end of a marking period where you can grade?

We don't have them. In my school, that stuff gets done on your time.

Could you be an effective teacher without those days? Of course. But they're nice. They make it easier to do your job.

I think it's kind of that way with study halls. Does a kid NEED one to find time to do all the work that needs to be done? Of course not-- lots of kids get by just fine without study halls.

Still, properly organized and supervised, they're a great opportunity for kids to get their work done.

7. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Feb 26, 2012

Just a heads up. I don't get professional days to get caught up. I have 4 1/2 professional days to go to meetings with the central office. I do the other things on my own time too. Does this kind of thing happen in states that have Unions? How many states have unions? I like the idea of study hall. We don't have them and I wish we did. Sorry for the highjack...but I've been wondering for sometime how many states are really covered by Unions.

8. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, our professional days are just meetings. We don't use it for grading/planning. We have a union.
    I think a study hall is good for some students. But I also think that not having one teaches responsibility. If my school had an issue with homework completion and test scores, I think we would have a mandatory study hall.

9. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 26, 2012

Our professional days (all two of them lol) are split where we get half the day to work.

Just as an update, the thought now is to make homeroom 50 minutes (previously 30) by taking about 5 minutes off each block and 1 or 2 minutes off each passing period. Our blocks now are 80 minutes so they're talking about making them 70 or 75.

10. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Feb 26, 2012

What do you do during homeroom?

11. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 26, 2012

Right now they have options. We have a lot of clubs that meet like robotics club. Choir also meets 2 days a week during HR. The rest of the kids can go to tutoring, quiet room, group study, and wellness walking/basketball. We have to do at least 30 minutes because of our lunch schedules. Our junior high and high school are together but can't eat lunch together because of space.

12. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Feb 26, 2012

I loved study hall in high school. It was a good portion of the day and it was a time to relax and get work done. I couldn't have survived without it.

13. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Feb 26, 2012

An 80 minute study hall? Ack! We have a 40 minute one, and it is honestly little more than babysitting. Very few kids use the time, and it becomes a time to chat & hang out. I have beeb begging for years to get rid of it, have even shared research that shows that study hall (in the unstructured way we have it, with it being open study hall time) has no benefits in terms of achievement. (BYW - as far as I know, none of the local High Schools has study hall, and we are the only middle school I know of that has it.)

14. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Feb 26, 2012

The middle schools and high schools in my area don't have study hall. My parents attended school here, too, and they said they didn't have study hall, either.

15. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 27, 2012

We don't have enough minutes in the day to satisfy our graduation requirements as it is. I can't imagine cutting time out of instruction before testing. We'd never finish our curriculum! Sadly, the students for whom study hall would be the more beneficial (ones in AP/Honors courses) would never take them. Students get to take 8 classes. Sports typically count as two courses, they need their core four, which leaves them with two electives. Many of our students will not give up electives like newspaper, broadcasting, yearbook, student council, film studies, etc. because they are fun, give prestige, and some have an option for dual enrollment with a college. It would be the groups of students in the easier classes and with fewer extracurricular activities that would take study halls. Those students are typically the ones with the most discipline referrals, so I can't see study hall being anything but ridiculous. Our freshmen do have a course called study skills, but they get a grade and have activities and lessons and things in it. The way our state's graduation requirements are, students only really get one elective a year until junior year.

16. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 27, 2012

Our kids take 8 classes too. We don't have many electives though because we're just so small. They're working on changing that next year. Our kids who take the harder courses like calc are required to have a study hall right now.

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 27, 2012

Lauren would kill for study hall. It would be nice for her to be able to some of her 5-6 hours of homework a night at school.

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 27, 2012

Our kids have very few electives.

We're a college prep school-- everyone takes 4 years of science (inluding Physics-- everyone), 4 years of math (most end with Pre-Calc or Calc, our lowest track kids end with a full year of Trig), 4 years of English, foreign language, History, Religion, as well as Phys Ed.

All those electives-- sports, yearbook, newspaper, and so on-- take place after school.

19. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 27, 2012

How do they have time? Most of our students are in several clubs. Debate, drama, service clubs, Youth in Government, FCA, art club, book club, etc.) If some of what they did weren't classes, there wouldn't be anyone to be on yearbook and newspaper. Our sports count as a PE credit. Choir and band count as music credits. The other courses I mentioned count as electives, except for stu co, which is for no credit, but does have required activities.

20. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Feb 27, 2012

But isn't how hard the course is dependent on the student? Some students may find calc easy, while some students could find Algebra 2 hard.

21. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Feb 27, 2012

We have 8 periods. Our students can take as many as 7 classes, but most can't do this because of gym and science lab requirements. We have a lot of electives which I love. There are art classes like drawing and painting, ceramics, and sculpture. There is a film class, as well as tons of English, History, and Science electives. Most kids have 1-2 electives, depending on how often that class meets.
    To graduate, they need 4 years of English, 2 years of science with at least 1 lab science, 2 years of math, and 3 years of history. (this makes no sense to me, however) Next year, they're making it 3 years of math.
    But they do need to meet a certain amount of credits and hours, so no student can just take 4 years of english and 2 years of everything else. They need to do more than that.

22. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 27, 2012

Oh I definitely agree. But our Calc teacher worked it out with the guidance counselor to make taking a study hall mandatory if they were going to take Calc. What's funny to me is that I have half the Calc class in my study hall and they're always working on my homework for senior honors English! :lol:

23. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Feb 27, 2012

Wow...I can't believe that one teacher could work something like that out with a counselor. Doesn't he realize that it might make the kids less likely to take his class? :lol:

24. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 27, 2012

Extra curricular happens after school.

Remember, there are over 2500 kids in my school. Everything gets done.

25. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 27, 2012

I think she's been there so long and she only teaches that class that they were okay with it. Plus most of our kids have a study hall so I don't think it was a huge deal. The nice thing is that she stays after during that period so they can go to her for help and she has the answer keys in the room so they can check their work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.