Moving to Minnesota and have job questions

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by zoerba, Mar 12, 2012.

1. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Mar 12, 2012

Hi! DH and I are planning on moving to Minnesota within a year or two. I know this is a little premature, but we are trying to plan early, lol.

I'm currently a 3rd grade teacher in Alaska with 6 years of experience and have just about finished my Masters in educational technology.

I am highly qualifed and have passed the Praxis 1 and 2. With that being said, I know I have to take Minnesota's specific basic skills and pedagogy tests.

I am confused as to where to begin and how to plan for this move. We will have to sell our house to move, but I don't want to move until I have a job - yet I hear the market is TIGHT. Do I have much chance being an out of state applicant? If I'm lucky enough to get interviewed it will have to be over the phone. Where would I go online to find job openings?

Also, I am curious as to the salary and how many years of my teaching will transfer over. Housing seems cheaper there than here (depending on the area) but I still have hefty student loans to pay, lol.

So, any advice you can give me would be appreciated! I just don't know where to start or what to do. I am so scared about moving, finding a job, etc.

I apologize for this post being so vague! DH and I are driving to MN this summer to visit DH's family, but also to look around the different towns/cities. We are from what would be considered a rural area, so smaller towns don't scare us.

I keep telling DH that if I get hired, we'll move to wherever I get hired at because jobs aren't easy to come by! LOL!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 12, 2012

This page (http://education.state.mn.us/MDE/EdExc/Licen/AppOutStateCountry/index.html) makes me wonder whether you might have fewer hoops to jump through than you think.

The teacher testing chart linked from the page suggests that you could in fact submit your Praxis 1 basic skills scores through August 2012. Even if you can't, the MTLE exams, if memory serves, are all computer-based, which means that you can probably take the exams from pretty much any Pearson test center that you can get to.

It seems the Minnesota Department of Education runs (or at least houses) an online job bank: see https://education.state.mn.us/MTRC/.

4. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Mar 12, 2012

Thank you so much, I appreciate the links. :) Some good info there!

Tonight I found out that I was vested after 5 years, whereas a coworker had told me 8. I thought I had to wait a few more years before planning to move. Now, however, hmm..... ;) This summer is too soon, but next summer perhaps!

In the meantime, we will probably sell our house and I will try to take all the required tests. I'm thinking I will also buff up my resume and pay close attention to the job hunting forums, lol!

Please continue to give me advice, suggestions and links. I am an over-planner. ;)