Moving to Grade Two

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Starista, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Apr 19, 2008

Hello!

I was offered second grade two days ago ~ and am thrilled!

I have a few questions about second grade, as I am moving from first. I have 2 years experience in Kinder and 3 years experience in first.

~do the second graders tear out their own worksheets?
    ~should literacy centers still be wholly manipulative based?
    ~would groups of 5 desks work as well as they did in first?

I guess all of this is trial and error, and very much depends on the groups of children I get!!!

I am SO VERY excited to be moving. I am anxious to work with more mature students.

I am a Catholic School teacher and the second graders make two sacraments in second grade and I am so pleased to prepare them for that!

Thank you so much for your help.

:love:

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 19, 2008

Congratulations, Starista! I teach 3rd, but I see our 2nd graders and their work every day (small school). They produce a lot of writing, I know, so I wouldn't think you have to have only manipulative centers. I think the desk groupings entirely depend on the kids and their interaction. My 3rd graders don't do well with groups of desks at all.

I would say that adding and subtracting with regrouping is most important in math, as well as a good, solid sense of place value. Your curriculum may or may not entail beginning multiplication.

Your class library should be diverse as the ability levels may be so. Keep all your picture books, add easy chapter books.