Moving to Fourth - so many questions!

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Starista, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 6, 2014

Good Morning!

I am moving to fourth grade after 10 years in primary (1st and 2nd specifically).

The behavior management system that I have used effectively has been the clip chart where the children start on ready to learn and move up for good choices and down for poor choices. Will this work in fourth grade?

Regarding incentives/prize box: I never did rewards in 1st or 2nd but wonder if fourth graders need more motivation to clip up the chart. I saw a website where a teacher did a remarkable job of giving tickets for the children who clipped up to Outstanding and then she did a raffle biweekly. She would raffle off Scholastic books, Gel Pens, Cool Erasers, etc. Do you think that is enough incentive for individual behavior?

As for whole class behavior, I planned on doing my marble jar like I did in the lower graders -- and reward the children with a board game day and popsicles. Is this too primary for fourth graders?

What is the typical homework assigned for fourth graders? I want to make it as meaningful as possible. Math practice? Reading comprehension? Toward the end of the second grade I noticed that the students lacked mastery in the "cold read" portion of nonfiction selection so perhaps that will be the same in fourth?

What is the typical morning work?

I really want to keep it as simple and clear as possible so I can dive into the new curriculum and themes that fourth graders need to know.

THANK YOU in advance so much!!

3. PalmettoTeacher

PalmettoTeacher Rookie

Jul 6, 2014

Everything you did in the lower grades will work in fourth grade. I still use the clip system for my behavior. I am sure they would like a game/puzzle afternoon for good behavior.
    I like the idea of raffle tickets for books and other things.
    Homework is about like you said.
    Morning work I kept it simple a few problems and a couple of ELA related items.

4. blue678

blue678 Rookie

Jul 13, 2014

We use a ticket system with our 4th graders and it works great. We will make "offers" of things the kids like to eat, like fruit snacks, pretzels, etc. and they can "buy" them with the tickets they have earned. They love it!

We also use a "fishbowl" which is similar to the marble jar you mentioned. When they fill the fishbowl, they get a reward party, extra time outside, things like that.

Hope this helps!

5. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 21, 2014

This is wonderful help - thank you both so much!

6. 022ahnoor

022ahnoor New Member

Mar 6, 2015

I am sure they would like a game/puzzle afternoon for good behavior.
    I like the idea of raffle tickets for books and other things.