Moving to Arizona

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teacher7605, Feb 26, 2011.

1. teacher7605

teacher7605 New Member

Feb 26, 2011

Hello, I just finished and have recieved my teaching license in Indiana. I am currently teaching 5th grade as a long term sub till the end of the year. My family and I are moving to Queen Creek, Az at the end of the school year and I will be looking for work. Right now there are several openings posted in the area we will be moving to in charter schools. I was wondering if anyone could give me any information on the status of charters in Az. Around here they are not doing very well and the teachers I work with don't seem to think much of charters. Our Governor is really pushing charters here, so I was wondering how they compare in Az?

3. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Feb 26, 2011

Charters are receiving the brunt of the massive budget cuts just like the public schools. The budget here is B A D. If you want a decent salary, benefits and to be respected as a teacher, Arizona is NOT the place.

4. XOEmmyLouOX

XOEmmyLouOX Rookie

Feb 27, 2011

I don't know of any state that is currently respecting or appreciating teachers they way they should be. It is a sad state of affairs.:down:

5. Blkjacq

Blkjacq Companion

Feb 27, 2011

I live in Queen Creek and I work in Higley District nearby. TeacherApr is right. Budget cuts are bad here and they're cutting more this year. Compared to other places in the valley, we're gaining, not losing kids, so that helps. But cuts are still happening anyway so be prepared for a rocky ride.

6. Major

Major Connoisseur

Feb 27, 2011

Not what you ask but the temperatures around Queen Creek are VERY high in the summer.....(sorry IrishDave..:p) For that reason I couldn't live in that part of the state..... Now Flagstaff or Sedona areas are much more to my liking..... I love to visit AZ......

7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Feb 27, 2011

Sad, but oh-so-true!!! :yeahthat:

8. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Feb 27, 2011

I second what TeacherApr said. There's a lot of competition for jobs as teachers have been let go due to shrinking budgets. I don't know what it is like in Queen Creek in particular, but that is the general feel of education in Arizona.

Enjoy the warm weather... as hot as it is during the summer the winters are very pleasent.

9. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Feb 27, 2011

Where I'm at it gets near/at 120 degrees in the summer = )

ok seriously?! bite your tongue! Off topic but 1070 is NOT racist. Keep that crap out of this thread.

Back ON topic:
    Don't mean to scare you away but here are some facts---

Arizona is one of the lowest ranking schools in the NATION

Many, many, MANY districts do not pay their teachers well.

Class sizes range 30 and UP with no paras.

Arizona is a right to work state which means you do not have to join a union which means they can fire you whenever they want (NO tenure anymore) and add on so many students and responsibilities it makes your head spin.

Arizona does not put money into education, they take it out ALL the time.

Prop 301 money (which is about $100 extra per paycheck) will be ELIMINATED next year.

Granted this is not EVERY district but it is a blanket of things that are going on.

10. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Feb 27, 2011

Back to the thread. I LOVE living in Arizona. Every year we have the budget scares so I guess I'm used to it. As a teacher, I think I made a fair salary, working conditions were reasonable, etc. Of course it is going to depend on the district. My first year I had almost 30 students, but I don't think that's unheard of when teaching in the city, in ANY state. I think AZ is going through tough times just like the rest of the country. But...already there are jobs being posted for next year. I have zero experience with charter schools so I can't give any advice about that.
    To the OP, I think I read that you already have living conditions but if you are renting I've heard that it's a great time to buy a house. It's definitely a buyers market, especially out there!

11. teacher7605

teacher7605 New Member

Feb 28, 2011

Thanks all for the thoughts. I am fortunate that I don't have to work and could try subbing for awhile if I can't find a job. It's no better here in Indaina. They are trying to take away the union rights here. Thanks again.

12. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Feb 28, 2011

Thank you for those trying to turn this back to the original topic. Arizona is a great place to live (not necessarily to work for teachers), but yes to live. I don't appreciate the political opinion with a serious lack of knowledge on the topic that was being thrown out.
    But again, teaching jobs in arizona, not the greatest thing going on.

13. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Feb 28, 2011

I just want to add that beginning tomorrow I will have 35.....yes that is THIRTY-FIVE 2nd graders in my class!!! There is no cap on ratio even if they "say" there is. Supposedly, there is one for 1-3 grades at 30 but um...I have 35 and my co worker has 35. No union= nothing that can be done about this.

14. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Feb 28, 2011

TeacherApr,

I feel for ya--I really do! Here I am whining about 25 and you have 10 more than me! I think that's insane! I sometimes think that the people who allow these types of numbers in our classrooms have never taught before.

P.S. We're going up to 28 kids next year! May I have a tranquilizer, please? :eek:

~YTG