Moving to another state?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heymiss, Mar 5, 2011.

1. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Mar 5, 2011

Teaching in another state?

First of all, hi again! I usually only post in the summer, but I've been lurking around here lately because of all of the budget issues many states are experiencing right now.

I really and truly love the school where I work, but since I'm on a probationary contract, and we need to trim a few million from our budget, my job is possibly on the chopping block for next school year. I won't be on a term contract until the 2013-2014 school year, so I have a few more years until I'm "safe." If it weren't for money, I would have no fears of being let go. The admin respects me, I was rated the highest possible on my formal evaluation, and I feel like I'm doing a great job. If I had my way, I would stay at this school in this community forever because I love it so much and things are going so well. I definitely do not want to leave.

However, the economic situation being what it is, and my having a type-A, gotta plan ahead personality, I am constantly thinking about the "what ifs" of my situation. My boyfriend has a good job, but his company is becoming less and less stable by the day. We are currently in Texas, but he has some job prospects in Oklahoma and Arkansas.

I've done some research on the school districts in the areas (greater Tulsa area and northwest Arkansas), and those areas seem like they're doing fine, budget wise. Without being in the thick of it, though, it's hard to actually know what's going on. So what I'm looking for is:
    1. Does anyone have any info, good or bad, about the public schools in these areas? They don't seem to be making cuts now, but do you think it's on the horizon?

2. What's it like to get a teaching credential in another state? I'm fully certified in Texas, but I don't know how the reciprocity works or how long it takes to get approved.

3. I've paid into TRS (Texas) for two years now. What happens to my contributions if I teach in another state?

4. The sixth grade standards in both OK and AR are much more advanced than TX. Evertyhing I've taught my sixth graders this year is on the fifth grade scope and sequence for a particular OK district. What's up with that?

My boyfriend has been wanting to move back to Arkansas for a long time, but I was resistant because I wanted to work in my current district for at least a couple of years. Now that I'm afraid that the budget cuts will leave me in danger of being non renewed each year, though, I'm willing to consider it.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  3. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Mar 5, 2011

I just thought of another question. When would you apply for certification in another state? Should you do it before applying for jobs in that state?

Also mods, if this would be better placed in the job seekers forum, feel free to move it. It turned out to involve more specifics of job searching than I had originally intended.

4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Mar 5, 2011

I moved states, so I can answer a couple of your questions, but I'm not sure about anything related specifically to Arkansas or Oklahoma. About applying for the license in another state- do it asap. I was originally from OH and there were just no jobs to be had. There were thousands of people applying for a single job. I knew I would have to move states and started applying, but I thought it would be a waste of money to pay 60 or 80 dollars for that state's certification (especially since I was applying to several) before I knew I had a job in that state. Wrong idea! No one is going to give you the time of day until they know that you have a license in their state. I actually lucked upon a job in a state that was not one of my top choices and applied for the license as soon as I found out I had a job. I found out later that the principal assumed I had already applied for the license. I'm in what this state actually considers a "high needs area" (not so in Ohio) so the district somehow worked the system and was able to pay me my regular salary even though my license did not come in until December! (I had applied in July). My OH license had only taken about 3 weeks so I had not been expecting that. So moral of the story- apply early! I had a friend that moved to NC and even drove down there for several job fairs- everywhere she went would not speak to her because she did not hold a NC license yet. She applied for one at the beginning of the summer, it came at the end of June (lucky!) and once she had it she got tons of interviews.

As for figuring out reprcocity, most states licensing offices will have something about this on their website. In several states you will have to take more tests to get a new license, so you want to have plenty of time to do that. I'd start looking into it now- if you can't figure it out call the licensing office in the new state.

I'm assuming TRS is the retirement system? I know that in my state, if you move, you can actually take out the money (as if it were a bank account) that you deposited into the retirement system. Again, you'd probably have to call someone and get some straight answers. I'm sure it depends based on the state- but I can't imagine there isnt some way for you to get that back.

As for the standards, we always used to joke at my university (they knew a lot of us were going to have to move states) that Texas "is in their own world." Most states are moving to a more national, standardized set of standards- I had originally heard that Texas was one of the few that did not want to be a part of this. I haven't heard anything recently, but from what you say it seems like that held true. Our program director also told us to not even bother looking there because the licensing standards are SO different. That may just be specific to OH vs. TX, but you definitely want to check in to that now and get things started, even if you're not sure you'll be moving yet.

5. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Mar 5, 2011

Thanks so much for your response! I was thinking the same thing about potentially throwing away the money if I decided not to move.

I just edited the original post, but seriously all of the brand new stuff I've taught my 6th graders this year is listed on the 5th grade scope and sequence in Oklahoma. I knew we were behind, but an entire year?! Shocking, to say the least.