Moving to a room

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Geologygirl, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Jul 28, 2019

After five years of teaching at my school I finally got a room when a co-worker retired. The problem is he has not finished moving out, and told someone he was going to finish getting his stuff at the beginning of school. If this was a box or two of stuff it would be no big deal, but the room is literally stuffed with stuff. 3\4the of the floor to ceiling bookcase has textbooks, teddy bears ect... There was so much stuff I could barely find a space to put the bags down of stuff I started moving. The walls are still covered as well. The cabinets are full.....I need to be moved out of my floor to ceiling cabinet in our central room so our new hire will have a place for their supplies in the next week and a half, and school starts in two weeks. I do not want to step on the old teachers toes, but I really need to be able to move into my classroom. Do you think it would be rude to start piling his stuff onto lab stations so I can move in?

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 28, 2019

I know that our retirees cannot come into the building for 90 days after they retire. The have to be moved out before they retire. You might have to move the stuff.

4. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Jul 28, 2019

He can come in. I am thinking once the desks are down I will pile of all in a lab station or 3. He can get what he wants to keep and whatever is left will be trashed. I just don't want to hurt his feelings by hurrying him out....

5. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jul 28, 2019

I say pile away. I mean what the heck---I've never heard of a retiring teacher waiting until the following year to clean out their crap. Sounds pretty rude of him to leave it there actually. I actually wouldn't be surprised if over the summer he got to thinking "Do I really want any of that stuff??" and just never returns.

flairpen and bella84 like this.
  6. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 28, 2019

Yeah, I would just start moving his stuff out of your way. I wouldn't even feel obligated to store it for him. It was inconsiderate of him to leave it there, in your way, causing you to spend time taking it all down for him.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2019

I would shoot off a quick email to admin explaining the situation and asking where you should put his belongings.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  8. flairpen

flairpen Rookie

Jul 28, 2019

We had a lot of room shifting last year and I got moved to a new room. The teacher who had the room previously was unhappy about being moved to a smaller room. She decided that everything she just didn’t want she was going to leave in the room. She also wanted to leave all of her things in the room until we got back in August. Of course, that meant that all of my stuff would have nowhere to go because a new teacher would be moving into my old room. The principal ended up having to get involved and had to keep checking in on her because she would just wander off to her new room. I’m pretty sure I ended up moving half of her stuff for her. Some people just don’t care.

9. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jul 28, 2019

Yep, though I will admit that moving rooms is annoying. I purposely volunteer for the smallest room in my department because nobody else wants it so I know my stuff can stay put. I particularly can't imagine, though, what a retired person would need to keep.

flairpen likes this.
  10. flairpen

flairpen Rookie

Jul 28, 2019

That’s a good strategy. I’m switching to a new position at my current school this upcoming year and I requested “a room that exists and has somewhere for everyone to sit.” Mission accomplished.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 29, 2019

What the heck??? This is incredibly rude of him when he knows someone else is moving into the room. Definitely tell someone about this and get the ball rolling.

12. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Jul 29, 2019

I dont think he is trying to be rude, I just think it is hard for him to let go. It is a teacher I highly respect and is a mentor to many people. I think after 31 years he is having trouble with letting go.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 31, 2019

I'm sure it's hard but it's also common sense that you NEED THE ROOM!!!!

14. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 31, 2019

I got into my new room this week and found that the previous teacher left the cabinets full of junk. So I’ve spent nearly 4.5 hours just pulling out her junk and wiping down shelves. I’ve barely touched the surface of unpacking my own things and setting up the room. It’s just so rude leaving your junk for someone else to deal with. In my case, the teacher is still in the building, but she isn’t planning to get any of the stuff she left. So I’m going to be filling a lot of trash cans.

CherryOak likes this.
  15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 31, 2019

I would have emailed her and CCd administration asking her to kindly remove her junk. There's no excuse for that. I hate when my time is wasted because of other people.

16. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 31, 2019

I would love to do that, but I’m new to the building (not the district) and don’t want to get off on the wrong foot. I’m not happy about it, but I’d rather just deal with this unpleasant waste of time that I’ll soon forget than have a rough year of not getting along with her and anyone who she is friends with.