Moving to a new room- *sigh*

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by giraffe326, Jan 17, 2013.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 17, 2013

I must be jinxed. I moved into my 3rd classroom today. (Yes, a Thursday, and yes, we have school tomorrow. I am switching grade levels mid year. See this thread for details if you want them.)
    Anyway, every single time I have moved to a room, I have followed a messy, messy person that left a giant mess! I didn't even start packing my room until Monday afternoon (and was 100% moved out by 4pm today despite 6 straight days of steady rain and the fact that I was moving to a different building.) I left my room VERY organized. A little dusty in a few areas, but besides that, completely move in ready. There was nothing to clean out. NOTHING.

In my new room, I looked at the mountain of boxes. They are on tables and things, so I can't really arrange things until I move the boxes. I opened the first cupboard and discovered this!

[​IMG]

I closed the door and went home. We will live in chaos tomorrow and I will spend the weekend dealing with all of it! I wish I had taken more pictures. I will tomorrow before I do anything.

Pray for me a snow day! That way I have an extra day!! (We have like a 100% chance of snow and the world stops here when it snows. McDonalds closes.:rolleyes:)

3. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jan 17, 2013

Hugs! You can do it! Are you off Monday?

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 17, 2013

This is terrible!

Do you think the custodians can help you clear out that mess?

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 17, 2013

We have a school day tomorrow (but they are calling for snow). I will be there tomorrow regardless of the weather. I plan on going in on Saturday. (I've already bribed a secretary to come unalarm the building.) We are off Monday, and I plan on going in on Monday as well. Tuesday is actually a workday for us, but I am hoping to have the room mostly together because I need lesson plans!! :eek:

As for the custodians- one is worthless. The other is helpful, but he is bossed around by the lead custodian, so it is doubtful. I will probably toss the stuff into boxes and he will remove them.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 17, 2013

Yuck.

I seem to always inherit those rooms too.

Buy a box of trash bags!

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 17, 2013

Good luck and I'm hoping for snow for you!

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jan 17, 2013

This summer, I finally finished getting rid of the junk left from the last inhabitant of my classroom, and I've been in the same room for 4 years now!

9. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jan 17, 2013

Omg! I would die. Actually, I probably wouldn't but I would have done the same thing you did!

Good luck and be sure to post before and after pics!

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 17, 2013

Been there...well, not mid-year...your situation gives me anxiety just thinking of it!

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 17, 2013

Oh- I have already been informed that I will be moving back to the other building over the summer. The ONLY reason that I will really clean this room out is that I have no where else to store my stuff!! If I move again after that, I will start to believe that my P just wants me to clean out the school ;)

(It sounds like a lot of moves, the ENTIRE school moved rooms after my 1st year. I've been in my current (until today, anyway) room for 5.5 years.)

12. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jan 17, 2013

I am really fortunate to have a door to the outside in the back of my classroom. Right near the door is the garbage dumpster. People always asked if this bothered me. Absolutely not. That dumpster got a real workout when I moved in. :whistle:

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 18, 2013

Snow Day! I am about to leave- I waited a bit because I go down some back roads. There really is almost no snow, so I am worried about ice since it has been raining steadily since last Friday! (Sun this morning!!)

14. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 18, 2013

Good luck! Bring a thermos of coffee. If you're by yourself with no students, consider bringing something fun to put in the coffee. I have a feeling you've earned that right.

15. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 18, 2013

Below you will find a few before pictures. I forgot to take pictures after a while. Some things that I don't have pictures of:
    -the 50 or so USED workbooks that weren't even laying flat
    -the picture collage of some woman and her family- no one in the office staff even knew who the woman was!! And they have both been at my school for 15+ years!
    - the games before I tackled them
    - the stack of used desk name tags- with tape still on them- from the group of kids that are now in 6th grade (she had them in 2nd!)

[​IMG]
    Art Supplies (and other junk)

[​IMG]
    Empty milk cartons- left over from gingerbread houses in DECEMBER!

[​IMG]
    The teacher editions and manuals she left me.

[​IMG]
    Random bag of tennis balls, anyone? Or other junk?

[​IMG]
    Hopefully nothing falls on you. Used writers notebooks and stuff...

[​IMG]
    2004. A good year.

[​IMG]
    Need any grocery bags? Or plastic silverware?

If you go to my photobucket, there are a few more pictures of the junk I pulled out. I threw out 8 big garbage cans full of stuff. What you see in the pictures is what I DIDN'T throw out!

16. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 18, 2013

Some after pictures. I ONLY worked on organizing the cabinets today. I will be back putting everything else away tomorrow. Bulletin boards and decorating are the very last things to do on my list! I have to be able to function- the walls are the least of my concern! (Although I enjoy that part the most!!)

[​IMG]
    Organized games! (I wish I had taken a picture of the before. They were thrown into a laundry basket, and other random places around the room.

[​IMG]
    Organized cabinet. I have about 50 boxes of Ziploc bags. I am OCD, so they are now sorted by size! It does drive me nuts that about 20 of the boxes are opened!!

[​IMG]
    The backpack/coat cubby. I wish I had the before- I'm not sure where they put their things!

[​IMG]
    The closet from yesterday!

[​IMG]
    The rug was randomly in the middle of the room. I inherited it and the pillows. (I'm a color scheme type person, but I will manage!) I made a little nook- too bad that there is no room for it where the books are. And the shelf the books are in won't fit over here. *sigh*

[​IMG]
    The back cabinet- I have to put centers into the tubs, but they are still packed.

[​IMG]
    Art supplies and math manipulatives. I'm not crazy about the set-up, but I don't have any other shelving to use. The plastic tubs are mine. She had them all in Ziplocs and sitting in a giant plastic tub.

17. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 19, 2013

Amazing recovery of that space! It looks warm and welcoming, especially for students who are being moved and may be nervous.

18. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jan 19, 2013

You did a great day's work! Congratulations! I would kill for your drawer & storage space - we only have (very low) cabinets that are deep - I have to get on my knees (hard for someone with arthritis to do on a concrete floor) and dig with a flashlight in one hand!

19. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 19, 2013

I added new pictures in this thread.

The storage is nice, but it is all either very low (knee level or lower), or full of very skinny (4-6 inches) shelves.

20. bubbles

bubbles Rookie

Jan 19, 2013

Wow, great job Giraffe. I hate, loathe, absolutely despise cleaning and decluttering, but force myself to do it at least weekly in my classroom. If someone else forced me to do it for them by moving and leaving a mess, I would be royally p-oe'd. I commend you for handling it with grace and taking what I assume to be a whole day to clean up this rude person's mess before being able to do anything with your own stuff.

21. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 19, 2013

It is really strange- I always thought she was super organized. Apparently she is the 'out of sight, out of mind' type. Her desk area was always neat. Her classroom so-so, but not terrible.
    I am the complete opposite. Open cupboards and things will be alphabetized, labeled, whatever. My desk? Usually a mess. I don't put things away until I have time to do it properly. So I usually look really disorganized, but I am anything but!

Funny thing- Friday while I was cleaning things out with my friend, she stopped by to bring MORE stuff!!! :eek: She opened my newly organized closet and threw a bag of junk in it! I threw everything in the bag away except for a couple of felt tipped pens.

22. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jan 20, 2013

I'm the same way, giraffe! My cabinets are super organized, my desk is awful. You made some amazing progress. :)